1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Text from web site automatically erases

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Daikini, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Daikini

Daikini Thread Starter

I was doing some research for a book I'm writing and was copying and pasting material into a Word file. I noticed that the words were automatically being deleted from the bottom and the top. At first I thought it was a virus but after a Norton and Trend antivirus check, it likely wasn't. Someone told me it might have been a macro from a site not wanting people to do what I was doing. Has anyone heard of this? Also since I'm only getting the text as ideas for the plot of a fiction book, I'm not using the material for illegal purposes. Is there any way to know what web sites would have this activation?

Thanks so much for any help.

2. Huon

Huon

I haven't heard of this, but try saving to a straight text file first. That may stop it.

3. maxximilian

maxximilian Guest

I have vaguely heard of this...but never saw it in action. Can you post a link to the page in question?

In many cases, site owners will use JavaScript to disable right-click functions. This is mainly to protect images (pretty much impossible on the net), but if this does indeed exist for text as well, JavaScript may be the blocker....

In any case....the text should be in the source code....

Curious about this one..... :confused:

4. Del

Del

This may be dumb, but the test at the site wasn't white on a dark background, was it?

5. Daikini

Daikini Thread Starter

I was copying and pasting from so many web sites that I don't
    know which one it was. I was doing research about Norway and the viking era so perhaps it likely was a web site in Europe. I searched everywhere for anything that referred to something like this and it was like you all said, sounded familiar like it was possible. Thanks for your responses!

6. Del

Del

If the text you copied was white, it won't show up in notepad, wordpad or other word processors.
    Probably not the problem, but thought I would ask

7. Daikini

Daikini Thread Starter

I see what you mean, but no, it was actually deleting itself as I watched, from the bottom up. I panicked and closed out the file saving it. (duh) When I went back in later, I saw it had deleted itself from the top too. The next thing I did was open another Word file to see if it was affecting any other file and it started erasing the text in that file. Then I ran my Nortons and the House call from Trend, no virus. I rebooted and both files were ok. I later copied out the text and deleted the two files. That stopped my method of research. I'll take notes or else print the page from now on.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice