1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Text is Blurry on Viewsonic VX2433wm

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SnoopKatt, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt Thread Starter

Hey guys,
    I brought my desktop back from school, but I didn't want to worry about transporting the monitor, so I'm borrowing my dad's Viewsonic VX2433wm. At school, I use a Samsung 2343BWX along with a Dell 20" 1680x1050 monitor (unfortunately, I don't know the model). However, my computer seems to act up with it connected.

The most obvious thing is that the text is kind of blurry. I tried adjusting ClearType, but that didn't seem to help. Pictures/color seem to look okay though, and most games look/perform the way they should. I made sure the video card is outputting 1080p, and I also switched to my integrated graphics chipset (Intel HD 3000), but it looks the same. I tried opening AMD Catalyst Control Center, but it tells me that the "Host application has stopped working". Doom 3 BFG edition also crashes once I get in-game.

Here's the weird part: When I connect via HDMI my AOC L32W761, all of these problems go away. AMD CCC works fine, the text looks okay, and everything seems as it should. When I connect only my TV, everything is okay too. Why would this happen? I've switched cables, switched ports, uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers with driver cleaners, and I can sometimes sort these issues out, but I'm pretty stumped right now. I don't think the monitor had issues before.

My setup is this custom build I put together last year:

Intel Core i7 2600k
    ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3
    AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    8GB DDR3-1600 (2x4GB)
    Corsair TX-750

Thanks in advance!

2. Sponsor

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I had this same problem a number of years ago and I think it was a viewsonic monitor. It was a bad cable. Once I changed the cable, the text was fine. BTW I have that exact same mb in my home server running linux mint. It is just about bullet proof; runs a 2500k clocked to 4.4gig. Very good quality mb.

4. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt Thread Starter

Hmm, I'll try another cable and see if it's any better, thanks for answering!

Yeah the motherboard has been great. I've never seen my computer crash and the combination of old and new features is nice. I'd overclock, but we have really strict power limitations at school, and we'll trip the circuit breaker if we go above 900W from the wall :/

5. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt Thread Starter

No luck unfortunately with the third cable. I get the clearest text if I set the resolution to 1680x1050, even though it's not the right aspect ratio. I also updated to the beta drivers from AMD's website, and now CCC won't even open.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are not using a vga/dvi adapter are you?
    Have you tried both dvi ports on the card?

Other than that, I am out of ideas.

7. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt Thread Starter

Yep, tried different ports. I'm just going DVI-DVI, and I also tried a DVI-HDMI cable in both directions.

Good news though: I did get it working finally! I used a different driver cleaner called Display Driver Uninstaller, and I guess it caught some stuff that Driver Fusion didn't catch. All is well now; the text is clear and CCC doesn't crash. Just updating in case it helps anyone else.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you were able to get it working (y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1115465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice