Text links not showing up in any browser

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wonderdogger

I was wondering if someone had some thoughts about this.

The problem is that when I visit certain sites, the text of the links does not show up. For example, when I visit www.jetstar.com.au, the site opens ok, but in the drop down menus for cities, there is no text showing up. As another example, if I go to http://www.its.uq.edu.au/helpdesk/guides/java/ , the clock shows up properly but below the clock where it mentions something about java plugin, there are two dot points but no
text alongside them (for the operating system links). When I try to highlight around the area I get two blue bars where the text should be but no text.

Strangely, when I try the same thing on Mozilla, I get exactly the same problem so its not unique to IE.

One other thing is that when I first click on my email or IE icons a message
appears saying "WksSb.exe application error. The application failed to initialise properly
(Oxc0000005)" However, when I click on OK I can still access email and the internet.

Here is a summary of what I have tried so far
1. I went to Windows Update and made sure I had all the latest critical updates
2. I checked that javascript was not disabled and it wasn't.
3. I checked that I had IE 6 and I do.
4. Checked that java is working by going to that clock link above. It does.
5. I checked that my virus definitions were up to date and they were.
6. When I disable WksSbe.exe from startup with msconfig, it does not fix the text link problem

The only thing I have done recently is change ISPs. The problem had started only when I changed. When I contact the ISP, they just tell me to try Mozilla.

wonderdogger said:
I was wondering if someone had some thoughts about this.

The problem is that when I visit certain sites, the text of the links does not show up. For example, when I visit www.jetstar.com.au, the site opens ok, but in the drop down menus for cities, there is no text showing up. As another example, if I go to http://www.its.uq.edu.au/helpdesk/guides/java/ , the clock shows up properly but below the clock where it mentions something about java plugin, there are two dot points but no
text alongside them (for the operating system links). When I try to highlight around the area I get two blue bars where the text should be but no text.

Strangely, when I try the same thing on Mozilla, I get exactly the same problem so its not unique to IE.

One other thing is that when I first click on my email or IE icons a message
appears saying "WksSb.exe application error. The application failed to initialise properly
(Oxc0000005)" However, when I click on OK I can still access email and the internet.

Here is a summary of what I have tried so far
1. I went to Windows Update and made sure I had all the latest critical updates
2. I checked that javascript was not disabled and it wasn't.
3. I checked that I had IE 6 and I do.
4. Checked that java is working by going to that clock link above. It does.
5. I checked that my virus definitions were up to date and they were.
6. When I disable WksSbe.exe from startup with msconfig, it does not fix the text link problem

The only thing I have done recently is change ISPs. The problem had started only when I changed. When I contact the ISP, they just tell me to try Mozilla.
Hi wonderdogger,

Welcome to TSG!

I do not know if any of this will help you as you did not specify whether you use the full Mozilla or Mozilla Firefox, but I believe you can load in the same extension I refer to below.

I went looking at your links, and had the drop down menu for the cities from the first one.
The second one, since I use the NoScript extension with Firefox, the JavaScript is disabled until I specifically approve it for the website using NoScript Options and the clock did not display in the left-hand panel, and when I allowed the NoScript Options to execute JavaScript for that website, then the clock appeared and all was well.

As for the link to the Java Plugin, I do not know which one they are talking about, but in my Internet Options menu, for my Internet Properties I have checked:
Java (Sun)
Use JRE 1.5.0_06 for <applet> (requires restart)

-- Tom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts