Text names longer???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

EricSalvi

I didn't know which forum here I should ask this, I just wanted to know if there was a way to view more that just a "X" amount of characters on the desktop icon (text) name?

Right now I have like "adobe photosh..." But I would like it if it could display the whole name.

Eric

The maximum filename length on a NTFS partition is 256 characters. You can use letters, numbers, spaces, and some punctuation marks in desktop icon names. You cannot use these characters in icon names: \ : / * ? " > < |

You can increase the size of the "icon spacing(horizontal)" in display properties. Right click the desktop, and choose 'Appearance'. In the 'Item' box, choose 'Icon Spacing(horizontal). You can increase the number. Don't go larger than necessary, because it increases the spacing for all the icons on your desktop.

moper

EricSalvi

Thank you all, really helpful. I probably knew that but I was drawing a blank.

Merry Xmas

Eric

EricSalvi

Hey I tried it and didn't work. I have style XP on with the Panther skin, would this not cause it to work correctly?

The Horizontal Icon one in the Advanced settings of the appearence tab was at 43 and then I moved it eventually up to 115 and still nothing. Still showed the Icon titles as

"ICON"
Dell Jukebox
by musicm...

Eric

I just tried it on my desktop and got all but 2 icons showing the full name with a setting of 68. The 2 unchanged were, Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0, and My Photo Assistant by Webshots. The reason they were unchanged is because they take up 3 lines. Windows only allows 2 lines in the name and I don't know how to change that. Solution: shorten the name so it fits on 2 lines.

Hope this helps.

moper

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online