1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Text Problems

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Dexter45, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dexter45

Dexter45 Thread Starter

I have brought this up before but could not explain what was going on. I am having this problem with some e-mail messages(yahoo only) and certain webpages. This attachment is from Macafee website. If I copy and paste the message to Word,word pad or note pad I can read it. If I click on forward or reply in e-mail, the message becomes readable. So to get to show so that someone could see it, I copied the message, scanned it, cut and pasted. I hope someone can help. The only way I can show the problem is by attachment. So if someone thinks they can help I will attach the file.
    Thanks,
    Robert

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi Dexter45

Go ahead and post your attachment.

We will take a look at it.

3. Dexter45

Dexter45 Thread Starter

EA,
    Thanks for answering. I now know what the problem is. When I go to Internet Options-Fonts, On Web Page Font I have a few choices. On plain text font I only have one choice, WP BoxDrawing. I have another computer that also has XP and it has 4 choices for plain text font. How do I change/add fonts to the plain text box? Here is the file anyway.

Attached Files:

4. sekirt

sekirt

That is a Word file. I don't use Word and can't open it. :D
    Until someone else takes a look (EAFiedler), post your OS, programs and version numbers involved.

sekirt

5. Dexter45

Dexter45 Thread Starter

sekrit,
    I use XP Home Edition SP2. Yesterday I saw that I only have the problem with my IE browser. If I use firefox, everything is ok. So it seems that with IE, any web page displaying plain text, I am not able to read. I know how to change the font options for plain text, I just only have one option.

thanks.

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Dexter45

That is just plain messed up.
    The picture anchor is there with those chicken scratches and only visible under the Page Layout view.
    It disappears under the other views.

In Internet Options,
    Fonts options
    Which Language script is selected?

I have Latin based with about 47 options available for Web Fonts and mine is set to Times New Roman.

Can you change your Language script?

Have you tryed the Reset Web Settings in Internet Options > Programs tab?

7. Dexter45

Dexter45 Thread Starter

Latin based
    Times New Roman
    Language script can be changed. I used reset web setting, no change.
    Is there a way to change or add fonts to the plain text box?

8. sekirt

sekirt

You can add all the fonts you want to your system. It is done in Control Panel. Anything over 500 and you will notice your machine slowing way down. Internet Explorer will display what fonts you have installed.

Unless you are into graphic design/web pages, etc; there isn't much reason to install extra fonts. People can only see the fonts that are on their computer. If I had Black Chancery, for instance. And I emailed you using BC, you will only see it as Times Roman (or whatever default font is set). So if a web page was in Black Chancery, without you having that font on your computer, you would see Times Roman. The biggest differences between fonts of that nature and plain text fonts, is that plain text fonts are not proportional. An 'A' takes up the same amount of space as an 'I'. Each character in a proportional font, takes up only the space it needs.

Here is a list of standard Microsoft fonts for each OS.
    http://www.kayskreations.net/fonts/fonttb.html

If a standard font is corrupt you should be able to replace it from your CD using System File Checker. Incidently, you may want to run that anyway, see this MS article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378

Check IE->View. Encoding. Set to Western European (ISO) if you are in USA.

If my suggestions are way off base, someone that can see your DOC file might be able to be of more help. :D

sekirt

9. Dexter45

Dexter45 Thread Starter

sekrit,
    If you go into IE >tools>internet options>fonts. If you look in the box that is plain text and you see WP BoxDrawing, in the preview right below that it will show you what I am talking about.

10. sekirt

sekirt

Hmmm....WP Box Drawing font. YOU have Word Perfect?

Unfortunately, I am on Windows 98...and I also don't have Word Perfect.
    You might check Google: WP Box Drawing Font

sekirt

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331523

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice