1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Text Search

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by DNeurococo, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DNeurococo

DNeurococo Thread Starter

Rookie problem, but here it is:

I've noticed the "text search" facility in my Windows'98 wastes a lot of time looking thru folders that don't have text! (For example BMP or JPG files).

My files containing text are split off into different folders.
    Is there any way I can combine them into a "virtual folder" without physically moving the files? That is, I want to tell Win98 to search for text string "Bozo" in folders A, B, E, G and J and skip looking thru everything else. Is there a way to specify the five folders without having to type them in separately and doing a separate search in each one?

Alternately, is there some other text search program that is more flexible in letting you specify which (multiple) folders to look in?

2. Balzac

Balzac Guest

It searchs pretty quick if you know the extension. If you're searching for text files put *.txt in the named search and then bozo in the containing text field. Then Choose C drive. It's instantaneous in my case.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice