1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Texture/object pop-in, audio delay, started recently

Discussion in 'Games' started by marc_89, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marc_89

marc_89 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8161 Mb
    Graphics Card: Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 117 GB (46 GB Free); D: 813 GB (176 GB Free); E: 1863 GB (886 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Intel Corporation, DH67CL
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Hi all, the past week or so I've started experiencing a lot of issues with textures and objects popping in, as well as some audio and stuttering issues, in several games.

Witcher 3, Forza Horizon 3, and Fallout 4 all displayed issues with textures taking time to load in. Witcher 3 had increased load times in general and npcs and objects were loading in up to a minute late at times. Fallout 4 had texture pop-in issues and constant audio delays. Forza Horizion 3 had long load times and half-minute freezes for loading in new terrain.

My framerate in these games has remained good and stable at 60+ at max settings, and I've upgraded my graphics card driver to the latest available. Temps are acceptable, though I'm not certain about hard drive temps. My first thought is to suspect the hard drive might be failing so I attached some screenshots from HD Tune which seem to show it's in good health. Could it still be failing despite HD Tune's results? Is there maybe some other component that's failing or some setting I need to adjust to fix these sudden issues that have cropped up? Any and all help will be welcome as I've had no luck trying to fix this on my own the past several days.

Attached Files:

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

What is a texture 'pop in' ?

Defrag your hard drive and see what happens.

marc_89 likes this.
  3. marc_89

marc_89 Thread Starter

Textures popping in refers to how low resolution textures in the environment tend to stay visible for a good while before being replaced with their high resolution counterparts. It mostly happens in Fallout 4. When I walk towards a new area, the low resolution textures meant to be seen only from a distance either take a long time to be replaced with their high resolution counterparts, or are never replaced at all.

I'll defrag both partitions, however they're both already listed as 0% fragmented and are set to be optimized weekly.

Since I first made my post, I've reset Windows 10 from recovery settings and opted to keep my data. It completed successfully, however the reported issues still remain. Does this make it more likely that I'm dealing with a hardware failure?

4. marc_89

marc_89 Thread Starter

I've finished defragging both partitions, but that hasn't solved the issues I'm facing.

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did the games get updated automatically?

6. marc_89

marc_89 Thread Starter

The games tested were already fully updated, before and after I reset Windows 10.

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

Since the problem started about a week ago, were the games updated then? Maybe it is a game update that caused the problem.

8. marc_89

marc_89 Thread Starter

All my games were in the same state that they are now, I didn't change anything in my pc or games before the problems started.

9. marc_89

marc_89 Thread Starter

I opened up my pc and cleaned it out thoroughly, double checked all the connections and replaced the molex connector between the hard drive and the motherboard with a spare. Things seem to be working normally again.

I don't know if this is a permanent solution or a temporary one as I'm not sure what the problem was exactly, and if there is a failing component it could be exposed again in time by dust and increased temps. I don't think my motherboard can monitor the temps of my ram stick, is there a good way to verify if my ram stick is failing?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice