1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TFT Monitors .. and resolution!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by theMusicMan, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theMusicMan

theMusicMan Thread Starter

Hi All

I've been thinking recently about changing my rather large footprint 19" monitor for a 19" TFT moniotr, but there always seems to be a limit on the maximum screen resolution of 1024 * 1280.

Why is this the case when one can get laptops with 1600*1200 resolution?

I wouldn't pay £600+ for a monitor, that;'s bordering on a good deposit for my Triton Studio!!!!

john

2. putasolution

putasolution

It very much depends on your Graphics card as it does on your monitor

3. theMusicMan

theMusicMan Thread Starter

Hi puta,

I have a graphics card that goes up to 1900*1200, and tend to use 1600*1200 as my working resolution. But on all rviews/technical specifications I read for TFT Monitors, it says max resolution = 1280*1024. Not good enough for me really...

Are there any out there with higher res but not costing the earth...?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Its not the limit of your graphics card as suggested, TFT monitors have a "native resolution" (in this case 1024 x 1280) and are less that optimum below this. They do not display above their native resolution.

You have to consider how a CRT functions, and how an LCD functions.

In a CRT, if it is asked to display 1 pixel at a certain place, the electron beam is pulsed "on" as it quickly scans across that area. The result is approximately 1 pixel, probably more as it needs a huge video bandwidth to react quickly. Its a fully analoge process despite how the screen may be connected.

In a TFT / LCD screen, connected using the DVI port, its all digital. That pixel is controlled, and only that pizel. Nothing more or less.

The resulting resolution is therefore exactly the native resolution of the screen. Its often far better than a CRT, as no analogue process is involved.

When you drive your CRT at high resolution, 1 pixel becomes more than a pixel. You may not truly get the resolution you want, it gets slightly blurred.

To truly test, you should see them side by side. In my experience the LCD outperforms the CRT by a lot. I run dual LCDs at 1024 x 768 and never need higher resolution, its way better than a CRT at the same res was.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Close.
    On a CRT the resolution is defined by the above and the Dot Pitch of the monitor. A monitor with .28mm dot pitch has the phosphor dot groups that produce the image further apart than one with .26mm dot pitch. The latter is capable of producing clearer pictures as there are more dots across the screen area. So for instance a 19in monitor with a .27mm dot pitch is (approx) 16in wide and has (16x 25.4)/0.27=1451 dots across the screen. This would be the "native" resolution of this screen if you used one pixel per dot, but- as pointed out previously a pixel can be spread across more or less in an infinitely(?) varying way.
    A TFT screen with 1024x768 native resolution has exactly 1024x768 grid of transistor groups, each of which is fired digitally. This is why on a tft screen in 640x480 mode you get the picture in the middle unless you force stretch mode when the screen looks absolutely awful.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice