1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The 10-Minute Ubuntu Setup

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by lotuseclat79, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

The 10-Minute Ubuntu Setup (2 web pages).

This article walks through three key areas: installing all the proprietary tools you're used to having, including MP3, AVI, Flash, and Microsoft-standard fonts; enabling DVD reading and playback; and setting up Ubuntu Tweak, which gives Linux newcomers an easy solution to installing third-party apps and tweaking their setup to be just perfect.

-- Tom

2. oksteve

oksteve

I tried Ubuntu years ago and got frustrated by having to install this distro or that whatdoyoumacallit, so I gave up. At that time they were searching for the holy grail ..Linux, the desktop version. As close to windows as poss yet without the constrictions a PC has.

I think this is the closest yet. Certainly sounds a lot easier to install and easy to use.
    Thanks for the post big guy:)

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

Hi oksteve,

IMO, Kubuntu is closer to the Windows experience than Ubuntu - just saying as I prefer Ubuntu myself being a long in the tooth software engineer.

-- Tom

4. xico

xico

I think the 10 minute Ubuntu Setup and the Dual Boot article pretty much answers my question about the swap partition.
    In the Ubuntu Linux ToolBox Negus and Caen mention using the Thumb Drive instead of a CD to boot up Ubuntu, I'll have to try it Lifehackers way. Interesting!

Thanks, Tom!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice