1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The 56k blues...

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Tenchi19, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tenchi19

Tenchi19 Thread Starter

Ok due to some probs, i cant really upgrade to DSL. So that should clear up the "Switch to highspeed" speech that people get. Anyhow i have a problem, but i cant figure out if its my modem or my ISP. For awhile now, my connection has slowly been getting worse. A few months ago, i was able to play games like Halo and Svencoop online with out too much lag. And im talkin about servers that hold up to 13 or 14 people at most. My usal ping at most would be 230-280 at most depending on the server. But now, i cant even get into a server without lagging myself off. I dont think its anything normal, because everyone else seems to be doing ok. I cant stay in a server with more then 8 people now without lagging myself into a coma.

It's sad i know, but i used to connect at alittle close to 50.0kbps, now its 38.6kbps. Ive re-installed the modem drivers and i just dunno. At times i get error messages that say "Remote computer did not respond in a timely manner" or "PPV or PPP link settings" or something like that were wrong. Other times, i will connect, but my internet wont be going. It says im connected, but it seems like there is just no communication going through. :eek:

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You don't mention the modem you have but most people have a soft/win modems and these are very sensitive to line quality and are affected by entire system performance. They unload any modem operations they can on the computer and CPU.

You may wish to check your phones to see if you hear any noise on the line or even disconnect all the phones, fax machines, answering machines and see if the connection speed goes up. You may also wish to connect the modem directly to the phone jack at the junction that enters your house to see if its an internal wiring problem.

You could also upgrade to a quality hardware modem that connects though an RS-232 serial port. Generally these modems outperform the software modems but cost considerably more.

Here's a good modem: http://www.usr.com/products/home/home-product.asp?sku=USR5686E

3. Tenchi19

Tenchi19 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, and the modem by the way is a Creative Broadxtent

4. barnnyardd

barnnyardd

call your isp and see if they have a inialtion string for your modem.(not the best speller)i use msn9 dialup and use AT&F and 98% of the time i connect at 54.60.

5. DW49

DW49

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/355199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice