1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The AC power adapter type can not be determined. Inspiron 6400

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chainik, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chainik

Chainik Thread Starter

Hi! I don't know what's the cause of my problem and will be appreciated for any info.
    Suddenly, I started getting this message, when I turn my laptop on. It won't recognize my AC adapter, and won't charge the battery.
    I have Dell Inspiron 6400/1505, windows XP.
    I tried to flash BIOS, took out and put back in the battery. Check the plug, it looks ok. Battery's LED lights show it works fine.
    I saw that so many people have this problem, but did not find any ways to solve it. Or any reasons why it happened. If anybody knows what to do, please share with us regular PC users.

2. Officer Dibble

Officer Dibble

How long have you had it? Is it still under warranty?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its most likely one of two things; a faulty power adapter or a faulty jack on the laptop where the adapter plugs in. If you have access to another power adapter that matches yours then you can try that or take it into a local shop and have them check it possibly with a universal power adapter - but not all work with Dell's and give you the same message.

4. Chainik

Chainik Thread Starter

It's out of warranty period.
    In case it have faulty power jack, is it possible to check it and may be replace just a jack, not a hole adapter?:confused:

5. Officer Dibble

Officer Dibble

To test whether you have a faulty connector on the laptop take the laptop battery out, turn the laptop on and go into the BIOS. Don't make any changes in the BIOS, but just gently wiggle the power cable that is plugged into the laptop itself. If the laptop loses power or resets itself then you have the very common problem of a loose power connector within the laptop itself.

If this is the case then these internal connectors are often replaceable as it is a common fault.

What is saying that it does not recognise the power adapter,please? Is it XP itself, or something else?

6. Chainik

Chainik Thread Starter

To Officer Dibble:

I think it's a BIOS shows me this message, because it shows up right after revision of BIOS and before Windows starts booting.
    Also I tried my friend's adapter and it's not charging it either. It was charging it for first two days, but now whenever I plug it out, my laptop dies immediately. So it stop charging it too!
    Despite that my friend's adapter charges his laptop, but when I plugged in my adapter to my friend's laptop, it couldn't identify it. May be because it's a different laptop (Dell Studio 14z, Windows Vista Home edition 64) and it has different adapter PA-2E(65W), mine is PA-12.
    I don't understand what needs to be fixed!!!
    May be there is some kind of device, that can measure power coming from adapter and identify if it's bad or not?
    Thank you for your participation!!!

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That would indicate its the DC jack in the laptop that is broken and needs to be re-soldered or replaced completely.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/907528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice