1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"The action can't be completed because the file is open in another program"

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by adanedhel728, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adanedhel728

adanedhel728 Thread Starter

Whenever I try to move or rename files (or anything else that would change something about it), I frequently get the message "The action can't be completed because the file is open in another program." The thing is, it's not open in any program.

It usually happens immediately after it was open, though. It also usually happens with movie files. So, I'll watch a movie file, close WMP and try to change the filename, and it'll give this message. I have to wait for about two or three minutes before I can change it. It's very frustrating to have to wait every time I need to change a file. Is there a way to fix this?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Use another movie viewer, some may release the locks on a file sooner, right after closing it. Also bigger programs sometimes takes longer to close.

3. cuttlefish

cuttlefish

I have found that some applications in Vista say they are closed but in fact seem to be running in the background. :confused:

I find that Microsoft Outlook, IE7 and Windows Media Player are the main culprits on my PC. (n)

When I close these programs and then open Task Manager and look under running processes, they are quite happily still alive and well! :eek:

Right clicking on them and selecting "end process" fixes the problem but just why this occurs in the first place I really have no idea, something I have learnt to live with! :eek:

Maybe we will both learn something from any further replies!! :D

4. Braydenmartindal

Braydenmartindal

Boot into safe mode and try it if you have the same problems then I cant help but if it works fine in safe mode them most likely its a virus safe mode by passed a few different viruses effects when I got viruses now im a linux guy though and proud to say so ! :D

5. Chrismichael

Chrismichael

If you want to rename/change the file immediately then just shut down the process. I have found vista very annoying when u want to move a file. I don't even cut and copy anymore. I just cut/ paste/ delete original.

6. trev2hi

trev2hi

Very annoying. In my experience safe mode does not necessarily work. The easiest way to get around this is by doing to following:

open a command prompt window
    open task manager
    end process explorer.exe
    delete/move/rename the file/folder manually using command prompt
    start explorer.exe from task manager or start menu

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/736340