1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

the advantages of using video cards over onboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FuzzyWuzzy, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FuzzyWuzzy

FuzzyWuzzy Thread Starter

Can soneome tell me? Will it play video and movies better, smoother?

I just found out my centrino has its on video card, which I thought was neat and helped me choose this over P4.

2. batharoy

batharoy

Here's the main difference:
    Onboard video= No memory, it uses your system memory.
    Video Card = Has memory on the card does not use system memory.
    A video card will do all the things Onboard video will do.
    Only it will be better and faster because it won't use your system
    memory.

3. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    And games can play rather better, clearer and smoother. And depending on the game, they may not work properly or at all on on-board video (still suffering the stresses of on-board).

4. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

Onboard video is cheaper... But its usually *way* less powerful.

A decent video card (a newish ati, nvidia, etc) will give you much better performance for gaming and video. Also, many of these support the latest versions of directX, while most onboard ones will not.

5. WarC

WarC

Onboard video also tends to be several generations older and doesn't support the latest DirectX optimizations. Good luck playing Doom 3 on a machine with onboard video.

EDIT: Is there a parrot in here? I'm repeating what mtown said! Sorry! :)

ATI will be releasing a new chipset with an integrated 9600XT, it will be the most powerful integrated graphics card to date, but even now the 9600xt is showing its age.

6. FuzzyWuzzy

FuzzyWuzzy Thread Starter

i was surprised my centrino laptop has a decicated card, i didnt know laptops are starting to do this now - getting off the onboard. Well for the high end models at least

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice