1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

the amount of disc space w7 takes up

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by arcticphoenix, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. arcticphoenix

arcticphoenix Thread Starter

i upgraded from xp to windows7 pro 32bit and upon upgrading i noticed that it now takes twice the amount of space it did as from xp. was it on my end for not doing a clean install for it? if not then can you please inform me(anyone) thank you.

2. DVOM

DVOM

The real question is how did you keep it so small?

When I install XP it's about 3Gigs, Win7 installs at about 15Gigs.

3. arcticphoenix

arcticphoenix Thread Starter

i may have written it out wrong first time round. i meant to say is that when i had xp running there was a total of 120gigs taken from my 250gig hdd. after windows7 was running it doubled that space. sorry for this mix-up.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Sounds like you performed an Upgrade instead of a Clean install to a clean HD
    How big is the Windows Old folder ???

5. Leec65

Leec65

This should be called what MS does not tell you,that saided I did the same thing and had a big footprint on the HD so after I find the problem ( windows.old ) I tryed deleteing some of the folder and ended up deleteing my DVD drive
    My work around was to wipe the drive then reinstall XP then install win 7 ended up with a small windows.old file 650 MB

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    It's in the fine print in addendum 285 on page 1256 of the manual you didn't get ...
    Did you not see it :D

I haven't tried this .. But you should be able to do a Clean install to a Clean HD ..
    using the Upgrade DVD .. to Upgrade from XP.

For Windows 7 ... "Upgrade" means that it forever belongs to the Computer it was originally installed in ..
    and cannot be moved to another computer.

In other versions of Windows .. This was called an OEM version.

7. Leec65

Leec65

Oh Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only had 255 pages in my book that I did not get
    hehe
    doing a clean install over a clean install of XP worked good for me

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The only upgrade option from XP to 7 is a clean install. There's only one path. The old XP installation is probably in Windows.old folder. If your previous install used 120GB, then that's likely what's in that folder. Windows 7 does most certainly not consume 120GB of space on its own.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My Windows 7 Home Premium is using 14.2 GB. As DoubleHelix pointed out you probably have your data duplicated--in Windows.old and where you expect it to be (Documents, Pictures, Music). If that is the case you should be able to delete stuff from Windows.old as you verify that it is duplicated.

10. shihni

shihni

Fortunately, you can also install Win7 twice after wiping the drive (first a fresh install without activation, then an upgrade from within windows which is then safe to activate) and save yourself a bit of time and hassle.

11. bbearren

bbearren

I installed Windows 7 as dual-boot with XP. There is no Windows.old. I used the settings transfer wizard and a USB thumb drive to get Windows 7 up to speed.

As I install compatible programs on Windows 7, I can then copy their data files to the Windows 7 installation. Those that aren't compatible, I can still run on XP.

Makes for a smooth transition.

12. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I agree with bbearren for even more reasons; my XP sytstems are so modified from the original; I can't bear to part with them for what right now is a very uniform Windows 7. Plus as mentioned, I can still use my old Acronis Workstation from XP to image the Win7 partition and some other oldies but goodies like Iconoid don't work in 7. I'm sure those modifications will come with time but right now XP is the much beloved "Earlier version of Windows." Vista on the other hand....lizzard blink...smoke and ash...!

Then why are there OEM versions? I don't think I'm buying this one. However I did hear Paul Thurrott breifly mention that when he mentioned a deactivation/reactivation senario to a Microsoft panel, they just stared at him a bit uncomfortably.

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Cheaper .. Because they cannot be moved to another computer.
    They are the same as what comes with an OEM computer.

I had some trouble Imaging my W7 with Acronis.
    The problem was the reserved partition in front of the C system partition.

My solution was to format the HDD first .. as an Active partition .. Then perform a clean install of W7.
    This will eliminate the reserved partition .. It will not be installed .. And I also had no Windows.old folder.

14. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Its difficult to "move" any installation to another computer isn't it. Certainly it will trigger the altered hardware algorithmn and deactiveate 7. Yet, even for the OEM compters, they will deactivate if the mobo goes bad and needs replacement, especially if the network card and such are onboard. It seems like at least 80% of the failures I experience are hardware-related; a video card here a PS there which caused 3 mobos to fail on two different systems before I got the hint...has to be a way to gracefully recover from hardware failure right? Even when 7 thinks the same system has become a different one...with some reasonable limit to failure rate that is, even for OEMs, so the pirateers can't take advantage of it

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You need a full retail license to dual-boot. Windows XP cannot be installed if its license was used as a qualifying product for a Windows 7 upgrade.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/877473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice