The Argument for a 30% Reduction in Oil Use

Ent

Josiah
Retired Trusted Advisor
Perhaps my ignorance about the US will come through here, but is the only area of energy dependence on oil in the transportation sector? Could such a reduction be made by reducing the oil used for heating homes or powering electricity stations?

how long have we been talking about reducing our dependence on oil...1970s? have we come up with a viable replacement source....no!

lotuseclat79

The way forward was discussed in the report. Essentially, it boiled down to incentivizing the energy market in order to make it more worthwhile to pursue than oil - but, it is not a short term proposition apparently as it is very difficult to change the existing infrastructure.

-- Tom

Solyndra failure doesn't help the cause.

Our municipal electrical supplier is striving for a 20% target by 2020 using wind and solar. Current plants are coal, natural gas or combination fueled using diesel, coal and natural gas. The largest plants are basically coal fired. If I recall correctly they are about half way to their goal at 10%. They have bids out for a huge solar facility as we speak. Wind energy is being purchased from several Texas locations on the coast and I believe West Texas and a couple of solar farms south of the city.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online