1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

the Basic MS SideWinder Joystick bttns problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by konstantin, Apr 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. konstantin

konstantin Thread Starter

I got this joystick installed first time in win98se and checked it in
    Gaming Options and found out that buttons 2 and 6 werent working, so I went to Device Manager and removed the USB Human Interface Device and tried to reinstall it, at hardware install dialog I went for "Display List of Devices" and there were 2 versions of USB Human Interface Devices there [4-23-1999] and [some-2002], so I used the latest one and voila , all buttons worked nice. After a couple of days I can make
    use on button 2 (secondary fire) in the game, I check up the gaming options control panel and in Side Winder Joystick properties the buttons 2 and 6 didnt work again. I tried to reinstall like 20 times and never got it right again.
    Also in Device manager, there under "Sound, video and game controllers" a new control is placed "HID
    compilant game controller" , I tried to tweak it, changing version but it dont make any diff neither.

Anybody?
    I have an old puter AMD 450MHz , 256MB CL2 RAM, TNT2U 32MB, Epox MPV3-G2 mobo, all drivers installed 4in1, video , audio and such. No apparent porblems beside this one. Geez I ve only managed toplay a
    couple of times and dang it wont work.

2. mmmm

mmmm

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Game Controllers

How many controllers are listed here?
    If more than one different kind, remove the wrong one. If there are 2 listed of the Same kind ( 2 ms sidewinders) then remove both, remove it from the device manager and unplug the joystick.
    Reboot the computer, reload the drivers and plug the joystick back in.

3. konstantin

I have only one joystick listed in Gaming Control Panel.
    I think the problem is in the driver version, yes in the generic driver that is supplied with windows and nowere else in the web.

I was able to install it once, I did searched myself for the driver when installing and picked up a diferent version, more up to date, something of year 2002, and now that particular version simply isnt present. Ive been using the joystick 'ok' with all buttons, avter a couple of reboots the driver switched itself to [4-23-1999] version.

This screwinder painstick is driving me nuts.

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

5. konstantin

No. the sidewinder software only is needed for more advance joysticks , mine is a simple usb joystick, name "Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick" thats it. I did dl the 3.02 Sidewinder soft and it has nothing to do with my joystick.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!