The Best of

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hydan4

Hardware
Operating System: Windows XP
Best All Around PCs: Alienware

Software built for
Web Browsing: Mozilla Firebird
Email: Mozilla Thunderbird
Spam Filtering: MailWasher
Instant Messaging: Trillian
Image Editing: Photoshop
Web Page Development: Studio MX
IRC: mIRC
All-In-One Media Playing: Winamp 2.91

This is a list I've came up with and I'm hoping some of you can prove me wrong. There are alternatives that I can think of, but I need reasons as to why they are better(Gaim,GIMP, I believe it's X-chat?)

I really want to make a switch to Linux, but not until I know there's going to be software there that I need(Studio MX, is there something better than Studio MX on Linux?).

Operating System: Windows XP
You mean best windows OS,right?

Best All Around PCs: Alienware

I'd say the ones you build yourself :)

As for the rest,thanks but I think I'll pass.Seen too many of these threads that,despite your good intentions,usually degenerate into some trollish/flame-starting mess.But I will offer this Link that I have found helpful.
lynch

Hydan4

Thank you so much for the link lynch! Here's a new list:

Linux Software built for
Web Browsing: Mozilla Firebird
Email: Mozilla Thunderbird
Spam Filtering: Spam Assasin
Instant Messaging: Gaim
Image Editing: GIMP
Web Page Development: Amaya
IRC: XChat
All-In-One Media Playing: Xine
P2P Sharing: Freenet

Internet Explorer, Mailwasher, Trillian, Photoshop, Studio MX, mIRC can all be ran in the Linux environment thanks to Wine. They aren't included in the list because they weren't built for Linux.

I'm getting ready to make a switch(slowly) and that's why I'm making a list of programs that are the equivalent of what I use in Windows. Anyone care to add or modify the list? Did I get anything mixed up, or perhaps listed something that currently isn't the best software for a specific purpose?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online