Solved The best way to get 8.1 back

isteppenwolf

About WIN 8.1 that came with a Gateway Laptop that I purchased a few years ago so the information below has nothing to do with my question. I'm not sure if that PC will start in order to get the information that you may need to answer my question about reinstalling or going back to it from 10. If my memory serves me in this case I will say that I seem to recall a message or notice that informed me that once I make this move there is no going back. If that is true is it not possible to buy a new 8.1 disc program and installing that after reformatting the hard drive that came with the Gateway.

O'm pretty sure there will be some who want to know why I would want to do that. I don't have a specific reason except that I gave up on it too quickly. I actually Joined a computer SIG ( Special Interest Group ) in hopes of asking question and getting demonstrations. That said, it was said by the group leader that the club was suggesting to everyone who purchased a new 8.1 computer take advantage of MS's offer to update to 10 for free. So i bought into the suggestion and updated as MS suggested every step of the way.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'm trying hard to do my best and follow the rules. Losing my eye sight is difficult in and of itself. Difficult to see letters on the keyboard or on the screen and spell checker really seems to cause more problems than it solves. I can't say why but I've been told by people who try to read my texts or emails that they have no clue what I'm trying to say. As time passes it's also difficult to know what was motivating me.

I'm not wanting pity; just imagine what it might be like to wake up one day and you can't see as well as the day before and if you happened to watch 60 Minutes last night there was a story about an architect who had a tumor that was pressing on his optic nerve and the operation was 99% successful. It wasn't and the way that he went from seeing perfectly again after the operation to being in total darkness within three days is scrary for me.

Sorry for all of the words unrelated to 8.1

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20190609102737.000000-240
Processor: AMD A12-9720P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 101 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 12 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R7 Graphics, 512 MB
Hard Drives: C: 919 GB (869 GB Free); D: 11 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP 8353, ver 37.14, s/n PGPZP018J782ZU
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver HPQOEM - 1072009, s/n 5CD7206D3Q
Antivirus: Norton Security, Enabled and Updated

Thee should be a hidden partition, well not so hidden, that contains the original OS. You'll have to google for Gateway procedure to reinstall your original OS.....aka factory reset.

TerryNet

Terry
After installing another OS you probably will not be able to use the Recovery partition. If not, you will probably need to do the last of the following three options.

a. Restore the backup image of 8.1 that you made just before the "update" to 10. (You apparently did not do this.)

b. Use the set of Recovery DVDs (or USB flash drive) that you made soon after the purchase of the PC. (If you did this, can you still find the media?)

c. See Create installation media for Windows and install fresh.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Your Gateway laptop should have a SNID number and a serial number on it.
If you can provide that information, we should be able to identify it and locate its support site. (y)

I've had several eye surgeries between 1985 - 2018, and I have less than 50% vision in my left eye, so I can relate very well to vision issues.
That's one reason why I don't use laptops and why I have large 27" monitors for my desktops. :cool:

-------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

isteppenwolf

TO ALL first off thanks for the suggestions,

I do however seem to recall that I was given a period of time to go back to 8.1

As in expensive as the last 8.1 was and I thnk it was the last Gateway before merging with another company I should have left things the way they were but all too often we learn our lesson after it's too late.

The class ( SIG ) I joined was mostly for seniors. No one understood 8.1 but the bigger truth was that they didn't know much about any OS. I gave them a lot of credit for venturing into the 21st century by trying to learn how to operate a PC.

When I lived in FL I facilitated the class " computing for seniors " I enjoyed it but there was a lot of repeating things.

e had several eye surgeries between 1985 - 2018, and I have less than 50% vision in my left eye, so I can relate very well to vision issues.
That's one reason why I don't use laptops and why I have large 27" monitors for my desktops. :cool:
We're just about the same Mr. Frank. I went to a 32" monitor. But with both eyes dorked up.....I have to double up on my readers to read this text/print in this reply.

TO ALL first off thanks for the suggestions,

I do however seem to recall that I was given a period of time to go back to 8.1

As in expensive as the last 8.1 was and I thnk it was the last Gateway before merging with another company I should have left things the way they were but all too often we learn our lesson after it's too late.

The class ( SIG ) I joined was mostly for seniors. No one understood 8.1 but the bigger truth was that they didn't know much about any OS. I gave them a lot of credit for venturing into the 21st century by trying to learn how to operate a PC.

When I lived in FL I facilitated the class " computing for seniors " I enjoyed it but there was a lot of repeating things.
If you still want to go back to 8.1 you can. But a clean install will be required. So backup any and all data first.

So go here and dowloaad the highlighted text. From there install it and then open it if it doesn't. Then in top right select OS type. and then download the ISO. Then use Rufus to create a bootable USB drive and your set for a clean install.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techn...icrosoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

Then Rufus is here;
https://rufus.ie/

TerryNet

Terry
bassfisher6522, it's really better to give the official Microsoft link (see my post # 3) rather than a questionable site such as Heidoc. There is no danger of violating any forum rules with official Microsoft links. I'm not saying Heidoc is bad, but am saying that it is questionable.

Sorry....no problem. Will do from now on. I've always used Heidoc simply because back in the day you couldn't get the ISO from MS.

Bookmarking said site.

isteppenwolf

Your Gateway laptop should have a SNID number and a serial number on it.
Thanks flava, can you tell me what a SNID is and where might I find it?
f said:
If you can provide that information, we should be able to identify it and locate its support site. (y)

I've had several eye surgeries between 1985 - 2018, and I have less than 50% vision in my left eye, so I can relate very well to vision issues.

Did you vision problems happen slowly> Was it a struggle to be heard?
If you still want to go back to 8.1 you can. But a clean install will be required. So backup any and all data first.

So go here and dowloaad the highlighted text. From there install it and then open it if it doesn't. Then in top right select OS type. and then download the ISO. Then use Rufus to create a bootable USB drive and your set for a clean install.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techn...icrosoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

Then Rufus is here;
https://rufus.ie/
Much Thanks Rufus. I will prepare with a full charged laptop and a few ways to store passwords and anything else that needs to be backed up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online