1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The best websites for storing photos!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by cap2587, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

I am wanting to get some recommendations from fellow forum readers on the best websites to host photos. What I am looking to factor in:

1. Having my photos stored at original quality

2. Being able to access photos easily, organize and share with other people.

3. Be able to view my photos through a media player.

4. I am okay with paying for this service.

MY contenders are flickr, picasa, google+, SmugMug, PhotoShelter, and Zenfolio. I was reading a good article regarding this topic. http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39...ng-the-best-ways-to-store-your-photos-online/

Thanks for any information or tips.

2. gEEkEE

gEEkEE

Personally I use picasa and really like it. I don't have much experience with the other sites though.

Another option that I like is dropping them on to Dropbox or Box where I have 4gb or 50gb of data storage, respectively. I'm not sure these give you the option of using a media viewer- but I can view from my android phone just fine. Also can share the folders I want just like I can in Picasa. The only issue here is there are no printing via snapfish, ect options.

3. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. The printing from shutterfly, snapfish etc is a very nice feature. Otherwise you have to load them on a flash drive and go to CVS. I also think picasa is somehow connected with Google + which is nice.

4. ngk0585

ngk0585

I have used flickr. A bit of a pain and has limitations unless you want to pay for it ( I think you said you were OK with that) flicker is a bit harder to traverse when it comes ot orgainizatin tho. gEEkEE's ideas are probably better.

5. hewee

hewee

6. shannon08

shannon08

As per my experience picasa will be good place to store photos.

7. dale5351

dale5351

I use picasa on my own computer, but for web storage I use photobucket.com. The reason I like it is that it allows me to create folders and folders within folders to help organize the photos I upload for my friends to see.

If you want to see a sample, go to
    http://s311.beta.photobucket.com/user/dale5351/library/#/user/dale5351/library/2010%20December%20in%20New%20Orleans?&_suid=135892186071602795942171525971

or
    http://tinyurl.com/photo-NO

You can browse around my albums from there -- all are public, just go up a link or two, then back down to another.

I've never tried to print any pictures from there, but it does seem to be a service offered.

8. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
  9. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

Does Photobucket and 500px upload and retain the files in original quality. Is there a cost over a certain amount of GB storage? Can you order prints from either site? Thanks.

10. dale5351

dale5351

11. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

Basically I am looking for an online storage place that will upload original quality photos, I can order prints from, share photos, see my photos on my WDTV Media Player and I do not mind paying for storage. Picasa seems to get the vote, but you cannot order from them. Thanks for all the great ideas.

12. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

Flikr for me, and I pay for it ($25). You can use the Free account with limits and if you let the "Pro" account lapse they don't delete your photos, but only display the last 200 you upload.

With Flikr I feel you can better organize your pictures. You can create "Sets" (like albums), and collections (multiple sets). also you could add the same photo to multiple sets.... you might create a set of a family event, but in that event you had a good shot of your dog, so you might make a nother set for Pets and also include that photo in the set.

You can add guest passes or share on Facebook, or links by email.

I use Picasa to manage my photos, but Picasa is not online storage, Google is for this program.

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Are you sure about that ?????

Attached Files:

14. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great feedback on this post. I am leaning towards picasa as I like that it is integrated with Google+. I guess you can order prints from them which is a bonus. Looks like you can upload photos in original quality if you pay for the pro version. I can view picasa albums on my PCH Media player. Now It is just a matter of getting use to how Picasa works.

15. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Last time I ordered Prints .. I emailed them to Walmart .. and in ~~ 15 minutes I got an email that said come get them.
    I uploaded/ordered over 100 photos ... At 13 cents each, I can't buy the paper and ink for that .... I wonder what Picasa charges ???
    But that's the advantage of having the sized photos in my computer ... I use Picasa just for sharing them
    And I Only use Picasa for making my online albums

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice