1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The BIG Issue: AMD or Intel?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moebius, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

This is a question that puzzles many people out to buy a new PC.

You should generally consider AMD if:
    • You intend to play games
    • You intend to use internet applications
    • You want to edit DV (Digital Video)

You should go for Intel if:
    • You will use your PC primarily for Office applications/web browsing
    • You want to run a server
    • You want to develop software
    • You worship Intel
    • You are buying your first PP

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

For that, I'd still buy AMD. For the server, I'd go with AMD opteron.

3. omegax

omegax

Any actual tests to back these theories up? Though I prefer AMD myself, i've never seen any good data on the type of breakdown you have here. Only thing I really see Intel over AMD on is their multithreading for the server platforms that support it. Other than that, I don't see why an Intel would be preferred for such tasks as developing, office apps/web browsing, etc.

----------------------------------------------
    omegax
    www.computer-discounts-guide.com

4. dzones

dzones

Personally I feel the only reason to buy an Intel is if I just had way too much money and needed to get rid of it
    :D
    Seriously though, I have a pc store and AMD sends me crap all the time. Their benchmark test results show that ALL areas are better on an AMD.
    Now if you look at the Intel benchmarking, theirs is better..

So decide for yourself..
    I sum it up to simply:
    Ford and Chevy.
    My name is Dave, and I am an AMD man.

5. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

first things first:
    clock speeds are not a measure of performance

and intels not got multi but hyper threading. thats very good. ver very good. but expensive. amd has something remotely similar, but at no extra cost.

software developers should keep compatability on their minds, 92% (pc magazine poll, nov 2002) of pcs out there are intel pentium based. the opteron and itanium ar 64-bit, they are for servers that take heavy loads. i meany heavvy. and for serving 64 bit applications of course. the standard office server should use a pentium because most hardware manufacturers certify/test on intel and not amd. a 50 workstation network that goes down because of a hard to track hardware issue on the server is a pain in the butt problem. and most office applications dont need the power of an amd. heck its cheaper, but still...

im using a p3 1000 at my college ... perfect for net/content creation.

6. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

i have been building computers for a short time, and i have a little experience with both... I think that the "amd or intel" question will always be unanswered. it will always depend on who you ask, and since this world of technology is always evolving faster than any one of us can keep up with, none of us can really answer such a question with all the available knowledge that there is to base it on. if you want my opnion, i guess most people feel more secure with the name intel. and if you have enough money to buy something that costs over 1 grand, you want to be sure that it's gonna do what it's supposed to do! most people feel that intel can.
    alot of experienced computer users (i said alot, not most) tend to prefer amd, because they have seen the performance of them both, and the cost difference.

7. compilerxp

compilerxp

Only reason to buy an Intel P4 (single CPU):

Your business (or schooling) is in 3-D Rendering, making Mp3s or video files all day.

No geek with a blind test could tell the difference between a AMD 2500 and P4 2.8ghz CPU for everyday apps : (Internet, gaming, Office, email, using Windows, etc).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice