1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The Big One- Copying a large folder in XP... How big is too big?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 8dalejr.fan, Mar 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan Thread Starter

I'm having trouble with a game all of a sudden and I'm not sure if it's hardware or software related, so I may try to reinstall the game (even though it has been working perfectly fine for 4 years until now :confused: ) and see if that helps.

The game... NASCAR Racing 2003 Season... takes up about 15 gigs on my hard drive. I will burn most of the files to a CD, but I'd like to copy the entire folder or subfolders somewhere else on my hard drive (ample space) to make it an easier transfer later on.

The folder is 15 Gb. Will Windows let me copy and paste something that big? How long will it take?

Or is there a certain reasonable limit for each copy and paste? Don't want to make my CPU and hard drive explode to make matters worse. :p

2. Sponsor

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

Backing up your data is very important.
    I prefer to clone my HDDs to other HDDs, using Acronis True Image 10.
    There is a program that one can use for free for 30 days, but I have never used it.

" Will Windows let me copy and paste something that big?"
    Yes.

"How long will it take?"
    Depends upon, among other things:
    CPU type [ single vs dual core ] & speed;
    Amount of RAM;
    Speed of HDD;
    type of connection to destination HDD [ IDE, SATA, USB, 1394, et al ];
    normal mode vs safe mode [ or what else is running ];

RF123

4. 8dalejr.fan

Specs are in my profile:

Dell Dimension XPS Gen. 2
    Windows XP Home w/ SP2
    Intel P4 3.0GHz
    1 Gig DDR SDRAM
    120 Gig HD
    ATI Radeon 9800XT 256mb Video Card

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Actually there probably is a formula that might tell you the length of time it takes to copy a file from one area to another area but Windows will copy it and how long is really not the question here all you have to do is just copy the file and let Windows do its job. Even if there is not enough room on the destination drive Windows will let you know. One thing you can do is use a stop watch and time the transfer and then you will know.

6. 8dalejr.fan

But it wouldn't lock up or anything doing it since it's so big, right?

I have plenty of space left on the drive...

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Who knows if a system is going to lock up during a procedure, just go copy the file first then once you have it copied and you know it is there then if you want to delete it from the original location you can or you can just leave it there to use. The only way you are going to find out if it will work is by doing it if it locks up then post any error messages and we will help you from there.

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

You may receive a message that a file cannot be copied / moved / accessed because Windows is using it.

I recommend using safe mode.

Turn off Google Desktop, your AV, AntiSpyware, and any other program that monitors your hard drive.

I agree with Oz.

RF123

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/551813