1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The Biggest Computer Problem In My Life

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thomasrules, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thomasrules

thomasrules Thread Starter

Hello, I am thomas and I have the biggest problem ever.

My AMD 1.2G/256MB/WindowsXP/Radeon 9200 128MB computer is IMPOSSIBLE TO FIX.

I think that i've been having this problem for like a year now. I've gave to it the computer technician and he couldn't fix it. Instead he told me to buy a new Hard Disk because he thought it was that. A waste of money.
    What is happening is Freezing once past BIOS at anytime with High-pitched noise, sometimes other noices but usualy High-Pitched. If not past BIOS the computer will restart constantly. I've put the computer into the freezing cold at the times when it was constantly restarting for like 20 minutes. The system temp was like 0 and it was still restarting so I don't think it's a heat issue. Whats funny is the way the computer reacts to things like if I reset CMOS, unplug hard-drive and plug back in, change memory slot, or just not use it for a long time it seems to work for a period of time. Sometimes 2 weeks, sometimes a day. It has different mood swings.
    My test include testing the memory, bought new hard-drive, new video card, re-installed Windows, reseated Proccessor and put new gel.

At this point I don't know what the problem is and I would like some EXPERT advice as to what other things might I do and a diagnosis of this problem.....

THANKS VERY MUCH, THOMAS

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Is the "high pitched noise" a mechanical noise (fan etc) or coming from the case speaker or motherboard sound transducer?

If you are unsure, leave the case open and try and determine the source.

At least that would be a start

3. thomasrules

I put my head close to the computer and I think it's coming from the MOBO sound transducer, not the speakers(100%sure), Processor, or MOBO. But i heard pretty loud from Processor. If you say that it's a fan thats crashing my system than why would you think that. I said it's not heat issue

4. Conrad747

Conrad747

i think you are adding fuel to the fire by "freezing" your computer. electronic products, in general, do not adapt to sudden temp changes though i've had computers from the dump that had been snowed and rained on and still worked but only after keeping it indoors for about a week.
    you said you were 100% sure that high pitched sound is not coming from speakers, well i am adding a link for you to read the meaning of transducer.
    i think thomas doesn't rule that well. LOL.
    http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:Transducer

5. thomasrules

LOL WHY NOT thomasrules your WORLD BABY......ya my pc speakers....not from them.......possibly transducer speakers,,,,POSSIBLY

6. Conrad747

Conrad747

as kiwi suggested open your case to pin point where the sound is coming from.
    also, check your motherboard physically. i am thinking that your motherboard is dying if you hear noises.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If it is coming from the motherboard "speaker" then it points to a motherboard problem.

If there is a physical problem with the motherboard, it would explain the short term cure after disturbing it when plugging things in etc.

Such intermittent faults are almost impossible to track down though, could be a circuit board failure of poorly soldered connection.

8. thomasrules

what DO YOU GUYS SUGGEST I DO if indeed it is a mOBO problem.

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

IF it is a motherboard problem, it's not really "repairable".

It is replaceable though.

10. brite750

brite750

check for where the sound is coming from with a length of plastic tubing, you can pick up from the hardware store, one end up to your ear, also look for bulging and leakage at all your mobo capacitors.

11. Conrad747

Conrad747

also, while you are at it, remove your mobo out of its case and set it on non-conductive surface (anti-static bag, cardboard etc) and fire it up and see if there is any difference.

12. thomasrules

ok BRITE750 i think that you may be right about my MOBO capacitor. I have not checked them yet but after doing some researching on capacitors I read that the syptoms of failing capacitors is very like mine. I also have a MSI MOBO and they claim that they had bad capacitors. This machine is fairly old at least 5 years so it may be the problem....I'll post later after I check.
    CONRAD747 how do I remove my MOBO. I have never done that, I am afraid of doing that, unless you guide me how to do it properly and "FIRING IT UP" as you say.

THOMAS

13. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

It is fairly simple setup, it is held in by screws in the corners and the middle, I suggest just turn the case on its side, unscrew it and gently lift the board out, holding it by the edges without bending it and try not to touch the bottom of the board.

14. 911

Is there some reason why nobody suggested unplugging the speakers to eliminate them as the source of the noise ? I'm pretty simple minded, but sometimes simple works.

15. thomasrules

I checked the capacitors and they seem to be fine. No leakage or breakage.

But what would be the point in taking it out? And if I did i would disconnect all the buses and have just the motherboard working? ANything else?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324186

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice