1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The BLACK screen of DEATH! Need help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wireless Freak, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wireless Freak

Wireless Freak Thread Starter

Hey guys,

This is my first post and I really need help. I just purchased a brand new HD for my comp and reinstalled a fresh copy of windows XP home on it. Everything "seemed" to be working fine, but now the system hangs for literally 20 minutes when I boot. All I get is this black screen and then after 20 minutes windows pops up.

The same thing happens during game play. If I exit the game, I get a black screen, the system hangs, and after 20 minutes it comes back on. I have a Radeon 9500 and I tried the newest drivers and it started. I tried older drivers (catalyst 5.5) and it continued. I updated the BIOS and edited the settings for AGP and it worked for one reboot, but the problem came back once I played a game. I have the right monitor installed and everything...but the problem persists!

I could really use the help here. ANy suggestions will be throughly appreciated! Thanks!

2. happyrck

happyrck

when you installed the new drive you might have bumped something loose...check all the connections on the motherboard and drives...is the new hard drive the only one on the IDE controller cable and if not did you set the jumpers correctly...master is on the end ...slave is in the middle

3. Wireless Freak

Yes, it's the only one. Should I change the jumper on it to just master? I didn't check, but I know my othr HD came default on Cable.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Cable should have one as master and one as slave. Hanging at startup usually caused by either search for unistalled programs that have startup entries, or too much instartup. can you tell us what is checked in "Run,msconfig,OK, Startup"

5. happyrck

happyrck

put the drive on the end connector and set the jumper to cable select...I had a new WD 160 GB hard drive on a new build that was way slower than it should be and the jumper was set to master...I changed it to cable select and it cured the problem...don't know why

6. Go-Fazt PC Repai

Go-Fazt PC Repai

Sounds like HD can't find boot sector or files are missing or corrupted. NEEDED FOR PROPER START UP!!!!

7. Wireless Freak

So, should I boot from CD and repair? I have SP2 and the CD is SP1...

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

No that whole comment about about boot sector files being messed up is a misunderatnding of what is happening. Can you please give us what I asked for a few posts back being a list of startup files.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

When you exit a game to return to the desktop -- if the game was run at a different settings than the desktop settings -- the display card and monitor must adjust accordingly.

The same thing occurs when Windows boots and the initial VGA display mode must be adapted to the desktop settings.

Normally this should not be a problem -- but what are your desktop settings with respect to screen area, color depth and refresh rate?

And is you monitor recognized by model type when you look at display settings?

10. Wireless Freak

The resolution for the desktop is set to 1024 X 768. The game runs at 800 X 600. I have it at 60Hz Refresh rate. I have an 19" LCD Samsung.

The monitor is recognized by windows. I tried switching the jumper to master and it worked flawlessly until I actually began using the card when I played CS. Then the problem came back and now the reboot is happening again.

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

So the problem only manifests itself after intense graphics activity?

I believe this graphics card has a fan, is it working?

Could there be other heat issues?

When you say "the reboot is happening" -- are you referring to an unexpected restart?

If so, run sysdm.cpl and select Advanced > Startup and Recovery, and make sure there is no check in "automatically restart".

That should get you a BSOD to look at.

12. Wireless Freak

After I switched the jumper to master, everything worked until I actually began playing CS. The fan works fine and I can play and operate the system perfectly. T

The only problem is that once I exit out of the game, I get this black screen that lasts for 20 minutes. The same problem occurs when I boot the computer, I get the same black screen after the Windows XP logo dissapears that lasts for 20 minutes.

The comp does not reboot itself. I was only stating that the problem is still there even if I just try to reboot the computer; I still get the black screen.

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Just out of curiousity -- if you manually switch screen settings using ATI's "quick res" feature -- does the same thing occur?

Left click on the ATI icon in your system tray -- do you have screen area and color depth choices there?

14. Wireless Freak

Yes I do have the screen area and I did use ATI system tray to change the settings. However, I don't have a color depth.

I do notice that I have a driver for the 9500 and then a driver for a 9500 (Secondary). They're both installed. COuld that be the problem?

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

No that is common for an ATi dual port card.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/464854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice