1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The Blue Pixels of Death(AGP Question)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaleV, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaleV

DaleV Thread Starter

Alright...I am running a Compaq(don't laugh) with an AMD Athalon 1.6ghz processor, 256DDR Ram and WindowsXP for an OS.

I've owned my GeForce 4 ti4600 for a few months now and it had been working fine up until recently. Now, when I play Neverwinter Nights, I'm getting alot of little random blue pixels on my screen, and game stalling now. Outside of NWN, I have some little pixels showing up on my screen in funky colors and one floating above my mouse pointer.

The last time I experienced something like this, I was running a GeForce 3 and my vid card fried. I think the last one overheated, but I have the casing off of my computer and a big-*** aftermarket fan plugged into the PCI slot below my video card now...so this one should not be overheating. Regardless to say, I do not want to lose another nVidia card to this problem.

Any help would be much appreciated, since it would inevitably lead to me saving $4-500.00+ on a new vid card.

2. McTimson

McTimson

What is the power supply in your computer rated at? Look at the side of it, it should have a number in watts listed somewhere on the PSU.

Since it's a Compaq, it may not have sufficient power for the GF4 under a full load.

3. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Don't worry Dale,not everyone thinks badly of Compaq,so we won't ALL laugh.Now if you said Emachine...,well....

Now...,you say you burned up a Ge3? and this looks similar?
    I'd agree with McT that you should look over your PSU to see if it is up to the task of driving your vid card.
    I'd also look over the advanced setting of the vid card,perhaps backing it off a bit will clear up the screen image.Resolutions,refresh rates,openGL,3d antialiasing performance levels all add up to how hard a vid card is working.

As to having the case off,I disagree with that.By removing the case you are not allowing for real air flow over all of the components.Any exhaust fan is just grabbing the nearest available air and pushing it out.Like electricity,air takes the path of least resistance.A good case design takes air-flow into account,and can usually be enhanced with additional fans.Cool air in lower in the case,and hot air out higher in the case.

4. DaleV

DaleV Thread Starter

My PSU's max output is 200W.

I downloaded 3dMark, but the first time I ran it, it got started....did some testing, then rebooted my computer. Now when I try to run it, it reboots me and gives me a "Your video driver caused the instability" error report. So that's not doing me much good.

My OpenGL, Refresh rates, etc. are all still at default settings and my anti aliasing is set to be "program driven" so when a program needs it, it uses it. However, I get the pixels even running my OS, so it's not that, I don't think.

And yes, I burned a GeForce3 on my other computer(Also a Compaq) a while ago and the problems looked similar to this. It got so bad that I had to stick a box fan next to my computer and run it full speed to get the pixels to go away partially. Finally my wife left the computer on for a while without the fan being on and my vid card went *poof*. Done.

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

Many name brand machines, are kinda cramped... take off the cover and see if the problem goes away, your video card can be overheatings.

Power suppply is a bit weak for a standard desktop... if its in the standard LITTLE Compaq case, replacement with a bigger unit will not be possible.

Do you see these glitches the moment you turn on the system?

6. DaleV

DaleV Thread Starter

I already have my casing off, and yes...I see them (though not as bad) as soon as I start my machine up. It gets worse as my system runs, so I try not to use my computer for long periods as much until I figure out what's going on.

(And yeah, it's the small case kind. :()

7. compilerxp

compilerxp

The fan on the Video card, is it spinning correctly? Seems like you have a heat issue or your power supply is overloaded and its overheating... With it being an HP system, you may not be able to upgrade it... see if it can handle a standard size 300~350watt PSU.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!