1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The Case of the Disappearing Icons - a mystery

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Niteflyer, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Niteflyer

Niteflyer Thread Starter

I use WinXP Pro SP2 as my OS and have for some time now. I also am current on the updates. I have a problem that started a few days ago and it's driving me nuts. Here it is ........ Normally when I open an application and for whatever reason, minimize it, the icon goes to the bottom of the screen to the Task Bar and when I click it, the application window opens to where I was at. I've always been able to do this with several apps at a time. For some reason when I minimize an application window now - it just disappears. If I open the Task Manager I can see that it is running but that doesn't do me any good because I can't reopen to where I was. I use Zone Alarm Pro Security Suite, for firewall and Antivirus, SpyBot S&D, Pest Patrol, Ad Aware SE 2006, Spy Sweeper, and Trojan Remover and they're updated daily and they don't detect anything. I've tried removing the Ticks from the Task Bar Properties settings and re-ticking them but it doesn't help.

Would really appreciate some help.

2. Niteflyer

Niteflyer Thread Starter

I found the solution!!!! It turns out this is a common problem. Most people end up reinstalling windows to fix it but I found a free fix for it. Check it out and keep the link in case it ever happens to you or if you have any other problems with the Task Bar. It could save you a world of trouble.

www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

3. Wilbur

Wilbur

Thanks Niteflyer, I had the same problem and found this thread doing a search which worked, what a relief! :)

Wonder what the %&&$$&*_ caused it?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice