1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The Case Of The Vanishing Hardware ....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RPT, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RPT

RPT Thread Starter

I am running Windows XP Pro, & I have both a CD-R/RW & DVD-ROM as part of my system. Windows suddenly is refusing to recognize either device ... it says the proper drivers are there, but it cannot locate the hardware. When I go to Windows Explorer & My Computer, the two drives corresponding to the 2 devices are simply gone. Windows recognizes all of the other devices, such as my 2 hard drives & the floppy drive. This happened once before, and I took my CPU ito my computer vendor who confirmed that there was nothing mechanical wrong. I erased the operating system & reinsalled windows, and it recognized the devices again. However, I had to uninstall & reinstall all of my software. It's suddenly happened again ... how can I get Windows XP Pro to re-contect with the 2 devices without having to complete reinstall the operating system from scratch? I am running a 1gig AMD with 526 megs ram.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Are the devices present in Device Manager? If so, what, if any errors are indicated?

3. RPT

RPT Thread Starter

The devices are indicated with a yellow dot with a black exclamation mark. The message is: "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)".

Thanks

4. RPT

RPT Thread Starter

I think I found the answer to my question. Apparently, the problem was caused by my uninstalling Easy CD Creator. It made changes to my registry that caused the disconnect with the CD / DVD devices. In case anyone else out there has the same problem, you can get a patch at this site.

http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.php

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice