1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The Classic Lag Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by steelrunner, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steelrunner

steelrunner Thread Starter

I have Comcast High Speed Cable. My computer is a Pentium 4 2.00GHz, 1 GB of RAM, and a GeForce FX 5500 with 256 MB of Integrated RAM.
    I play classic Blizzard titles such as Starcraft, Warcraft 3, etc.
    I had been experiencing some minor latency issues due to the lack of hard drive space and registration problems - before then, there were no problems.
    I decided to do a hard disk format and reinstalled windows. I have updated all the drivers and have substantial amounts of space free.
    Unfortunately the latency is now even worse, which is particular, as I had expected it to go down. What could be the cause of this folly?
    I used to play World of Warcraft with no problems and now I can't even play a game of low graphics Starcraft on my computer. Please help me with this.
    Thank you,
    ~steelrunner
    [​IMG]

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That ping test doesn't look bad, no packet loss and not much jitter. Considering you're 1200 miles from the server, that seems pretty good. I ran the same test to the same node, I'm a bit farther away, but very similar results.

[​IMG]

I'm wondering if there isn't something about the local machine configuration that is causing the issues.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

I think you both are looking in the wrong place here as we no doubt have an old hard drive wearing out on an old system showing it's signs of age.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm not looking Rich, I was just stating my opinion that I didn't think the connection was the issue. ;)

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

I took your "local machine config" to mean the Registry which on re-reading it I realize that is semantics JW.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From where and how did you get them?

This is my preferred order for finding drivers:

1. PC manufacturer's web site,
    2. Motherboard manufacturer's web site,
    3. Device manufacturer's web site,
    4. A "drivers" site, such as DriverGuide,
    5. Anywhere you can find one that might work,
    6. Let Device Manager try to find one.
    7. Use Windows Update.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice