1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The connection to the server has failed.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by dml50, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dml50

dml50 Thread Starter

0x800CCC0E error on Outlook Express 6.0. Running WinXP SP2 with all security patches applied. Running Comodo Personal Firewall and NAV2007. OE had worked fine for 3+ years. Problem began about 10 days ago after applying Microsoft patches for June. Do not know if two are related.
    Incoming mail is received OK. Outgoing SEND fails every time with this error:
    The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.isp.com
    > ([email protected])', Server: 'mail.isp.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
    > Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10049, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
    [1] I called my ISP and they said all my SERVER settings are correct and that they are not reporting any problems with their email server.
    [2] I shut off my firewall to see if that was blocking it, but that did not help either.
    [3] I recorded all the MAIL default account settings, removed the account, and then ADDED it back in again - still get error.
    [4] I ran: netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt, but that did not help either.
    [5] From CMD prompt, I ran a TELNET to my email server, logged in with email account + password and it said 'OK' so I figure I can connect to my email server all right. (makes sense since incoming mail is working fine).
    [6] I deleted any emails in OE that might even remotely have something funny in them.
    I AM OUT OF IDEAS ON WHAT WENT WRONG. ANY SUGGESTIONS YOU CAN SHARE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
    Is OE corrupted in some way?:confused:

2. mtdriver

mtdriver

3. dml50

dml50 Thread Starter

Thanks for the link to the MS article. I have found the cause of the port 25 blocking - it was NAV 2007 email scanning. I turned it off and the SEND function began working. Even with this scanning turned back on, SEND events continue to work now.
    Symantec emailed me that sometimes a temporary Windows file can become corrupted and cause this problem.
    So I am working OK again.

4. mtdriver

mtdriver

You are welcome

In my experience it does tend to be norton that causes this problem.

5. MakoShark

MakoShark

I'm running Norton nad Outlook 2002 and I cannot connect to my servers either. I can get incoming, but not outgoing email.

The problem above sounds a bit like what I'm experiencing. Can anyone point me to the solution?

6. mtdriver

mtdriver

Norton is blocking your outgoing smtp port 25 I suggest you contact norton for a fix to it

7. MakoShark

MakoShark

Thanks, I will do this. At this point, I would try anything!

8. dml50

dml50 Thread Starter

I continue to get error 0x800CCC0E on sends of emails through OE. The only way I can get the send to work is by turning off outgoing email scanning in NAV2007.
    I have notified tech support at Symantec. I am waiting to hear back from them. My hope is that they can offer some other suggestion as to why NAV is doing this blocking.

9. MakoShark

MakoShark

In my long fight against Norton (months), I solved the problem only by getting rid of Norton and all my emails came flooding in and out.

I have used Avast instead. Seems fine.

10. Lee55

Lee55

I've spent the better half of two days trying to solve this problem from research and suggestions on this board and others.
    Error:
    Cannot access my smtp server with Thunderbird, Eudora, or Outlook Express.

Socket error 10060 0x800CCC0E
    I have had multiple antivirus programs intstalled, some sent with viruses attached (interesting)!!!!!!!!!
    AVG free was one big hassle, so I removed them all. This didn't work for me.
    Running XP Home edition. Not my servers fault, cause I'm able to access and send email on another computer.
    I believe I may have another virus or one of the antivirus programs altered something and didn't completely remove itself.
    Suggestions will be obviously appreciated!!!!!!!!
    Is there anything else to try?
    Thanks
    Lee55

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice