1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

the connection with the server was reset

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by findychap, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. findychap

findychap Thread Starter

Hi Guys hopefully you can help
    i keep getting an error message every time my computer tries to download anything, ie Firefox, itunes, email attachments etc, "the connection with the server was reset" I have tried disabling firewall (both norton 2008 and windows defender, i have unchecked FTP option in internet options

when browsing, i also get the message that the page cannot be displayed, and have to refresh, or page back to continue

can you please advise???? i use vista and ie8beta and safari

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "the connection with the server was reset" usually means that you lost connection. "the page cannot be displayed" often means that you have lost connection, or things got too slow.

It sounds like you may be getting frequent disconnects somewhere between your ISP and your computer. What kind of internet service do you have? Does the problem exist with the simplest possible configuration (e.g., computer connected by ethernet or USB to the modem)?

3. findychap

findychap Thread Starter

i use a wireless service and a netgear wireless router, there are 3 other laptops in the house and mine seems to be the only one affected I will attempt to conect with an ethernet/usb connection

4. findychap

findychap Thread Starter

I have tried to connect via usb and ethernet and the problem still exists same old message the connection to the server was reset, even opening googlemail is hopeless in IE8!!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, you have the problem regardless of whether the router is used, and with Wi-Fi, ethernet and USB connections, right? If so, that certainly points to your PC.

Could be a problem with the motherboard, but first I'd make sure of having from the PC manufacturer's web site the latest chipset and networking drivers. Second, try the following repairs. Third, consider that any non-Windows firewall (or security suite) may be acting up.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/779965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice