The Coronavirus - What's Happening Around the World

Unfortunately you can't protect people from themselves. :(
I agree if you have to wait in line but if they are the ones where they come to your car there is a lot less risk. However, I'd just wait the 14 days. Generally, by day 5 the symptoms start showing up so if you get beyond that the chances are very good that everything will be fine.
That's so true Karen. There is nothing I can do accept pray he doesn't get infected. I can't stand the wait but there is nothing else left to do but wait as you suggested. 😰

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I guess it depends on the testing site, but I have been to the Mayo Clinic's test site here and it's all done in the car. all the staff was using plastic shields, so if you need to get tested, that would be the best way.

Switching gears... My son's school (private) is under scrutiny by the faculty and staff after the school's plan to reopen.

This is part of the letter to the board:

" The American Academy of Pediatrics, whose guidance you have relied on elsewhere, explicitly states that “the individual needs and concerns of school professionals should be addressed with accommodations made as needed (e.g., for a classroom educator who is pregnant, has a medical condition that confers a higher risk of serious illness with COVID-19, resides with a family member who is at higher risk, or has a mental health condition that compromises the ability to cope with the additional stress).” PCDS employees who fit these descriptions and have sought accommodation have been instructed that their only option is to resign. "

This has left a sour taste... the school is meant to be one of the best in the state, yet they have told the employees this... just shows that they have no clue too... :(

Gr3iz

Mark
Hmmm ... I think the part of that letter that makes me wonder is where they say " e.g., for a classroom educator who is pregnant ... or has a mental health condition". Is this the kind of teacher you want for your kid? ;-)

I guess it depends on the testing site, but I have been to the Mayo Clinic's test site here and it's all done in the car. all the staff was using plastic shields, so if you need to get tested, that would be the best way.

Switching gears... My son's school (private) is under scrutiny by the faculty and staff after the school's plan to reopen.

This is part of the letter to the board:

" The American Academy of Pediatrics, whose guidance you have relied on elsewhere, explicitly states that “the individual needs and concerns of school professionals should be addressed with accommodations made as needed (e.g., for a classroom educator who is pregnant, has a medical condition that confers a higher risk of serious illness with COVID-19, resides with a family member who is at higher risk, or has a mental health condition that compromises the ability to cope with the additional stress).” PCDS employees who fit these descriptions and have sought accommodation have been instructed that their only option is to resign. "

This has left a sour taste... the school is meant to be one of the best in the state, yet they have told the employees this... just shows that they have no clue too... :(
Hi James, I don't see why they can't just continue cyber schooling as a substitute for in person classroom training. The children will learn just as much as they have when attending an actual classroom. I am strictly an online college graduate and have acquired all the skills necessary to achieve a B.A in Computer Information Science with the concentration of Cybersecurity and networking. This includes Hands on realistic simulated labs through Testout, Infotech and Cisco labs as well as live Java C++ coding. I had just as much experience as if I were attending an in person college campus. If the department of education is concerned about the development of social interaction and physical education, the department of education can incorporate online video instruction and live zoom meetings to compensate for the lack of social and physical interaction. Children can exercise, run, play ball right from their homes as if they attended a Brick and Mortar school. It is much safer than an in person interaction with students and faculty. Students and faculty will be less likely to contract Covid-19.

Hmmm ... I think the part of that letter that makes me wonder is where they say " e.g., for a classroom educator who is pregnant ... or has a mental health condition". Is this the kind of teacher you want for your kid? ;-)
Hi Mark, I think a teacher with a mental health condition teaching the children would be just fine as long as the teacher is taking medications to control the condition and the teacher qualifies for the job and has not had any mental health issues, works well with children, demonstrates maturity and makes appropriate decisions.

It could be considered discrimination if an employer fails to hire a fully qualified person for the job because of their race, age, gender orientation, culteralistic background, ethnicial values, physical or mental health status.

Gr3iz

Mark
Tina, I'm not prejudiced. At least not the way you may think. My little brother was born mentally retarded, and I have a cousin about the same age my brother would be who is autistic. That's my basis and experience for mental heath conditions. No amount of medication would have made either of them qualified for teaching. Sorry. It just struck me as an odd thing to include in an ill-conceived letter in the first place ...

Tina, I'm not prejudiced. At least not the way you may think. My little brother was born mentally retarded, and I have a cousin about the same age my brother would be who is autistic. That's my basis and experience for mental heath conditions. No amount of medication would have made either of them qualified for teaching. Sorry. It just struck me as an odd thing to include in an ill-conceived letter in the first place ...
I understand your point of view Mark. I acknowledge that some individuals with intellectual impairments may not qualify for the job because it is more than they can comprehend, and it may depend on the nature of the impairment that makes them incapable of handling specific employment positions, while others with intellectual impairments may do well at the same employment position.

I believe anyone can handle a variety of job positions if they are interested. It may take a lot of patience, compassion and understanding when dealing with individuals with special needs to acquire the skills needed for the job that they are interested in.

You would be surprised to find some with intellectual impairments may actually qualify for a teaching job. I know a women with Down Syndrome that works at the driver's license photo center as a receptionist and does a phenomenal job directing clients to the correct resources as well as typing info into the system. I believe Individuals with special needs can work during a pandemic and be trained to practice safety measures to mitigate the potential risk of contracting or transmitting Covid-19. I believe those with intellectual impairments actually adhere to the health guidelines better than most others with normal and even Higher intellectual functioning levels.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
As to the mental health comment, I think it's more of how these last few months has been stressful with the pandemic. My's son class of has been the center for most of the illnesses for the lower school, including the norovirus... and even recently the parents of said children have been travelling out of state so the potential of those kids bringing something back is high. We did the online learning at the end of the year and those kids were not that well behaved... mostly because the adults were leaving their kids unattended to do the classes. We sat with our son to make sure he doesn't act up too (he is a follower to some of the more misbehaving kids).

We will not take our kids to the school until there is a vaccine, or some actual data that this pandemic is done so online attendance will be happening here.

As to the mental health comment, I think it's more of how these last few months has been stressful with the pandemic. My's son class of has been the center for most of the illnesses for the lower school, including the norovirus... and even recently the parents of said children have been travelling out of state so the potential of those kids bringing something back is high. We did the online learning at the end of the year and those kids were not that well behaved... mostly because the adults were leaving their kids unattended to do the classes. We sat with our son to make sure he doesn't act up too (he is a follower to some of the more misbehaving kids).

We will not take our kids to the school until there is a vaccine, or some actual data that this pandemic is done so online attendance will be happening here.
I'm so sorry your going through such a rough time right now. I think we are all on edge over this horrible pandemic. It seems like it is disrupting many lives and does not show signs of slowing down any time soon. My heart breaks for the ones who are sick and are persistently exposed because they are forced to attend school or work, especially our children. 💔:(

I don't blame you for refusing to send your children to school. I cant believe the system is ignoring the fact that the pandemic exist and it's not over, exposing our children to a potentially deadly virus!! The department of education must not realize that are endangering the welfare of our children!

Last edited:

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
We've been quarantined since March and go out when necessary... so the kiddos has had it hard because they can't go out to see friends. So we are a little more lenient in letting our son play online games with his friends and recently got a Nintendo Switch as well for him.

I'm glad for our swimming pool...

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi James, I don't see why they can't just continue cyber schooling as a substitute for in person classroom training. The children will learn just as much as they have when attending an actual classroom...
They are (suppoedly) have a hybrid system, but the online option is with the teacher using a webcam... they made it sound like more of a virtual class system where the kids can interact but I guess it's going to be a zoom session....

It was hard enough for the couple of hours... I can't fathom 8 hours....

Johnny b

John
Some serious words from Bill Gates:

Bill Gates on COVID-19: Most US tests are “completely garbage”

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/08/bill-gates-on-covid-19-most-tests-are/

Too much that's important to copy and paste, but in context to the title of the article:

But people aren’t getting their tests back quickly enough.

Well, that’s just stupidity. The majority of all US tests are completely garbage, wasted. If you don’t care how late the date is and you reimburse at the same level, of course they’re going to take every customer. Because they are making ridiculous money, and it’s mostly rich people that are getting access to that. You have to have the reimbursement system pay a little bit extra for 24 hours, pay the normal fee for 48 hours, and pay nothing [if it isn’t done by then]. And they will fix it overnight.

Why don’t we just do that?

Because the federal government sets that reimbursement system. When we tell them to change it they say, “As far as we can tell, we’re just doing a great job, it’s amazing!”

Johnny b

John
HS that suspended teen who tweeted photo of hallway has 9 COVID-19 cases

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...weeted-photo-of-hallway-has-9-covid-19-cases/

North Paulding High School in Dallas, Georgia, sent a letter to parents Saturday, saying, "At this time, we know there were six students and three staff members who were in school for at least some time last week who have since reported to us that they have tested positive."

https://www.ajc.com/education/9-cas...lding-high-school/OWH6MN7DZ5A2XDQMXX337AQEWI/
The Paulding County high school that became infamous for hallways crowded with unmasked students will retreat online for at least a couple days this week after revealing that a half-dozen students and three staffers were diagnosed with COVID-19.
Exposure to Covid-19 usually leads to a 14 day quarantine.
If only 2 days, that's sounding like the possibility of making a bad situation worse for their community, imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 25)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online