The Coronavirus - What's Happening Around the World

I've seen it posted here that everybody knows somebody who has it/got it. Well I didn't until now. My ex has it

Johnny b

John
A 'new' variant to watch out for:
Deltacron.
A variant with the mutations of both Delta and Omicron.

Cyprus Finds Covid-19 Infections That Combine Delta and Omicron
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-that-combine-delta-and-omicron?sref=ctSjKj2N

A strain of Covid-19 that combines delta and omicron was found in Cyprus, according to Leondios Kostrikis, professor of biological sciences at the University of Cyprus and head of the Laboratory of Biotechnology and Molecular Virology.

“There are currently omicron and delta co-infections and we found this strain that is a combination of these two,” Kostrikis said in an interview with Sigma TV Friday. The discovery was named “deltacron” due to the identification of omicron-like genetic signatures within the delta genomes, he said.

Couriant

James

in addition:

Biden pointed out the U.S. has enough vaccines and booster shots for everybody in the nation, but 35 million adults have yet to get the shots

That's not going to end well.
something tells me this is the 1/2 half of the trump supporters that are the fanatics and believed Trump... and probably would booed him too if they were in that talk where he said he got the booster.

Couriant

James
I've seen it posted here that everybody knows somebody who has it/got it. Well I didn't until now. My ex has it
It was a matter of time that my brother in law (Strong opposer to vaccine; lives in FL) and his daughter caught it. A year or two ago he finish chemo for a cancer in his neck... You would think he would be more cautious. My father in law (really old, also in FL) had a bad infection (not flu/crona related) and had a below knee amputation. Last March he had a stroke. Thankfully he has had his shots now but he is still considered high risk. He couldn't celebrate his birthday because his son has the virus.... we ended up ordering pizza for him...

I am not surprised anymore... in any of it. I heard for the first time 'no jab, no job' - I think it's Bank of America (it's one of those big banks if it's not BoA) that will be firing people next week that they had to put on non-paid leave until they got the vaccine. While it sucks to be threaten of your livelihood, this is not some bullying technique. This is a serious thing and people outside their bubble needs to be protected.

Johnny b

John
something tells me this is the 1/2 half of the trump supporters that are the fanatics and believed Trump... and probably would booed him too if they were in that talk where he said he got the booster.

No doubt.

Those supporters also seem to have forgotten it was Trump that ordered that lock down early into the pandemic.

Johnny b

John
Novartis to seek FDA approval for COVID-19 treatment after positive data
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/n...for-covid-19-treatment-ensovibep-271641796764

Novartis AG and Molecular Partners AG on Monday reported positive topline data from their antiviral Covid-19 treatment ensovibep, and will seek expedited regulatory authorizations globally.

The results from a Phase 2 study of 407 patients receiving a single intravenous dose of ensovibep showed a 78% reduction in hospitalization or emergency-room visits related to Covid-19 compared with a placebo, and a improvement in time to a clinical recovery, Novartis said.

Johnny b

John
T-cells from common colds can provide protection against COVID-19 - study
https://www.reuters.com/business/he...protection-against-covid-19-study-2022-01-10/

LONDON, Jan 10 (Reuters) - High levels of T-cells from common cold coronaviruses can provide protection against COVID-19, an Imperial College London study published on Monday has found, which could inform approaches for second-generation vaccines.

also:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...d-by-common-cold-also-fend-off-covid-in-study

And:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-common-cold-t-cells-natural-immunity-variant-proof-vaccine/

The study:
Cross-reactive memory T cells associate with protection against SARS-CoV-2 infection in COVID-19 contacts
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-27674-x

Johnny b

John
U.S. sets new COVID hospitalization record, signaling Omicron surge could be less mild than experts hoped
https://news.yahoo.com/us-sets-new-...e-less-mild-than-experts-hoped-100032439.html

Much worth reading.
This stands out:

“Mild means mild — relatively mild — for the individual who’s infected. But it does not necessarily mean mild at a population level.”
...............tests are now catching just one in four or five U.S. infections — which means that Omicron is actually infecting more than 3 million Americans each day.
“Every Covid + patient requires the same isolation to protect other patients from getting infected,”

“As an E.R. Doctor, I Fear Health Care Collapse More Than Omicron,” Spencer elaborated on why U.S. hospitals trying to treat more than 140,000 COVID-19 patients at once represents an “unfolding tragedy.”
And especially, this:
“The Omicron surge is real — and even if Omicron is ‘milder,’ it's not mild,” Spencer concluded on Twitter. “It causes severe disease half as often as Delta, but infects 2-4x as many people, potentially washing out any potential 'benefit.’”
So....everyone needs to be wearing a mask when appropriate, practice social distancing, and get fully vaccinated if not already.
This pandemic is far from over.

Johnny b

John
I just rescheduled my appointment with my ophthalmologist to early summer.
Hopefully, conditions will be better then.
Fortunately, it's just a checkup, no issues.

I just rescheduled my appointment with my ophthalmologist to early summer.
Hopefully, conditions will be better then.
Fortunately, it's just a checkup, no issues.
I canceled my 2020 appointment and my 2021 appointment because of covid

Last edited:

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
An elderly friend of ours was hospitalised last week with pneumonia and C. Diff., so she was in rough shape. Because of the rising requirements for COVID cases, she was basically booted out of hospital, told to drink plenty of fluids, and told she needed to pay a $900 co-pay for a specific medication. Thankfully, the patient advocate called Merck and got them to provide her the medication for free through some scheme, so that's one less worry on her mind.

So, an old lady doesn't get the treatment she needs because of selfish people who still insist they don't want to be vaccinated. I'm beyond angry with this wholly-selfish attitude.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online