1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The CR_ROM Drive is missing

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kazamaster, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kazamaster

kazamaster Thread Starter

I recently deleted some spyware and all a sudden my computer started acting weird. The CR_ROM Drive is missing. When I click in my computer, the CD_ROM isn't there. When I put CDs in, nothing happens. I tried dissconnecting it and connecting. Also, I was told to uninstall it in device manager but I couldn't fine the icon. I need to reinstall something for my internet, but I can't get the CD to work. I have a Windows 98. Can anyone help me?

2. TOF

TOF

Try the add hardware wizard in control panel to set it up. Then go to device manager to setup the driver if your computer won't detect it on startup.

Does it show up in the CMOS?

3. kazamaster

kazamaster Thread Starter

Nothing happened when I tried "add new hardware" and what is CMOS?

4. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

Cmos is in Bios. And, assuming the next question will be what is Bios you probably should not mess around in there as you can irrevocably mess up your machine. But if you haven't changed Bios in the past and your CD Rom was working as well then Bios cannot be the problem as bios will not change itself. Most likely is a failed cd rom drive or the cable that connects the cd rom device needs to be changed. You can also try posing this question in the "Hardware" forum.

5. Arky

Arky

Brief correction. The BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is on a set of CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) device(s). The BIOS is a program stored in the CMOS chips with limited changes allowed through the setup program accessed on system boot. The BIOS instructions are kept in the CMOS by the system battery. CMOS devices are used for the application because of their microamp (order of) of current requirement.

6. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

What he ^^^^said. :)

7. TOF

TOF

Perhaps the ribbon is loose or damaged inside the computer.

How To Enter CMOS

It may also be a corrupt registry. The following is info to patch the CD-ROM icon in Windows XP. It won't be the same as Windows 98 and I son't have that system with me to hunt for it, but it may help you and others to locate what may be missing if anything.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

8. barnnyardd

barnnyardd

9. Gary300

Gary300

Turn off your computer. Remove the side panel, locate the ribbon wire for your CD rom, Unplug the ribbon wire from the CD rom to the mother board (be sure you unplug the wire going to the mother board too.) Wait 1 minute, then plug both wires in. Put your side panel back in to place and turn your computer on and your cd rom will re-appear in your computer.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!