1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The data is invalid

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by forrest1066, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. forrest1066

forrest1066 Thread Starter

Hello there everyone

This is my first post so please be gentle.

We are currently using Windows XP and SP3 and we have suddenly come across a problem when trying to create shares on new laptops to copy over peoples old data. We can create the folder fine and and users and permissions but as soon as i click on accept i get the following message

An Error occured with trying to create share - the data is invalid

I have tried everything, removing SP3, modify the GPEDIT and giving all users full control yet still nothing. Does anyone have a ideas - ITS DRIVING ME NUTS :mad:

2. Claymore

Claymore

Have you checked that the Server and Computer Browser services are at Automatic and Started?

3. forrest1066

yep i have and they are both started :-(

4. Claymore

Claymore

Anything in the Event Viewer - include the EventID?

5. forrest1066

Nothing in the Event Viewer :-( any ideas

6. Claymore

Claymore

Do you have Simple File Sharing turned on (Folder Options => View)? If not, try turning it on and see if it works. Alternatively, if it's turned off, try giving Permissions to Everyone, with at least Read permission.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice