the deal with bittorrent

i hate ram

i have noticed that there seems to be a no mercy policy here at TSG with bittorrent.. while some people use this software for obtaining illegal software/music/whatever, many use it for completely legit purpouses. i can't post in this thread because it is closed, but i see absolutely no evidence that this person was trying to use it for any illegal purpouse. http://forums.techguy.org/t382390.html

i use bittorrent for downloading live music from Etree.org. The artists allow people to record concerts and put them online for a free download. I'm sure a handful of people here can back me up with this (and grateful dead fans here?)

i think we need to lighten up on bittorrent support. if someone is using the program for a legitimate purpouse, we should be able to help them... i'm not making a demand here because i know people have different views (hence posting in random discussion).

if i am having problems downloading a show i'd like to feel safe coming here for support. i come here even before i go for OEM support :)

i'd like to hear other people's views too.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I think that the owner of the site can decide what he wants to allow, and what he doesn't want to allow.

As you said, it "MAY" be used for legal purposes....we all pretty much know that it's mainly used for ILLEGAL purposes. That being said, we aren't mind readers, so it's better to allow other websites to assist in those areas ;)

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
And by the way, someone would have to be a real idiot to come here and say they are using it for an illegal purpose :rolleyes:

CoasterFreak

Everett
It's happened before, I've seen it. I wanted to jump through the screen and slap the .... outta them. :rolleyes:

i hate ram

CoasterFreak said:
It's happened before, I've seen it. I wanted to jump through the screen and slap the .... outta them. :rolleyes:

i have to agree with you on that one

and candy, you make a very good point.. i guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

Couriant

James
I understand what you mean, BitTorrent are being used by companies to get thier products out, but like AcaCandy says, the majority of users are using BitTorrent for illegal purposes. As for the link you posted, I don't think it was harsh because of the reason above. The owner, Techguy, doesn't want to have any liability for any unlawful activities that has been shown here.

On the P2P subject, Grokster and Bearshare should be nervous since the US Supreme Court ruled in MGMs favor that they would be liable for their users activities. (y) finally the US justice system is doing something right :D

Stoner

Banned
I don't use bit torrent, but I have noticed legit software enterprises offering freeware that way when the ISO downloads are large.
Lindows was doing it and some of the nix distros offer it, like Slax.

I have no problem with this site's rules on discussing problems with it.

I'd rather argue about the weather, anyway :D_:D

i hate ram

Stoner said:
I don't use bit torrent, but I have noticed legit software enterprises offering freeware that way when the ISO downloads are large.

i agree. the music that i download is lossless FLAC or SHN (for those who don't know it's a lossless and compressed form of WAV) and many of these downloads can be up to 3 GB :eek: Archive.org does pretty well with bandwidth, but using bittorrent can sometimes match or beat the speed, depending on the speed and number of seeds.

it's quite unfortunate that bittorrent is used for illegal purpouses... but i guess that as long as there's a way to download content it will be abused in some way.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Stoner said:

Jack, you'd argue if the sky were blue or not! :p

:D

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
No, we're a way bit more south, so Acapulco will be ok.....but I'm in Vegas now, it only broke records here yesterday at 117 :D

EDIT: not to mention, on the Pacific side :D And it's a hurricane, not a tornado :p

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You never win 'real' money. You only make a deposit for a potential withdrawl in the future ;)

Only lost $20 today. That is my dead limit to lose :D

From the bittorrent website:

What is BitTorrent?

BitTorrent is a free speech tool.

BitTorrent gives you the same freedom to publish previously enjoyed by only a select few with special equipment and lots of money. ("Freedom of the press is limited to those who own one" -- journalist A.J. Liebling.)

You have something terrific to publish -- a large music or video file, software, a game or anything else that many people would like to have. But the more popular your file becomes, the more you are punished by soaring bandwidth costs. If your file becomes phenomenally successful and a flash crowd of hundreds or thousands try to get it at once, your server simply crashes and no one gets it.

There is a solution to this vicious cycle. BitTorrent, the result of over two years of intensive development, is a simple and free software product that addresses all of these problems.

The key to scaleable and robust distribution is cooperation. With BitTorrent, those who get your file tap into their upload capacity to give the file to others at the same time. Those that provide the most to others get the best treatment in return. ("Give and ye shall receive!")

Cooperative distribution can grow almost without limit, because each new participant brings not only demand, but also supply. Instead of a vicious cycle, popularity creates a virtuous circle. And because each new participant brings new resources to the distribution, you get limitless scalability for a nearly fixed cost.

BitTorrent is not just a concept, but has an easy-to-use implementation capable of swarming downloads across unreliable networks. BitTorrent has been embraced by numerous publishers to distribute to millions of users.

With BitTorrent free speech no longer has a high price.
P2P programs are meant to be used for illegal purposes, the court cases prove that. BT on the other hand is meant to reduce bandwidth usage. There is a huge difference between ares/winmx/grokster/etc. and bittorrent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online