1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The Dell hell

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wombat1405, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wombat1405

Wombat1405 Thread Starter

Hallo all my tech happy friends.

I recently acquired this fine little machine (https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-optiplex-7010-dt-core-i7-3770-3-4-ghz-4-gb-128-gb/specs/)

With the intend to move the hardware to another case, and do some slight upgrading, in the form of some new graphics, a power supply to keep up with the increased power demand, and some rams.

The problem i have run into is, some people saying that they still use proprietary motherboard connectors, and some say they use regular 12v atx, and then there's people saying they use esp12v 2.92 (which I have honestly never heard of)

And i cant seem to find definitive answer anywhere.

So I was hoping that someone in here could lead me in the right direction.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Trying to upgrade a dell, hp or other big box system is really an exercise in futility. Dell stuff is proprietary ie the motherboard very often will not line up with a standard atx type case, pci slots will not line up with a standard case, front case connectors on the dell board are not standard, etc, etc.
    While what you intend on doing is possible, it is a LOT more work than just using a standard motherboard ie asus, gigabyte, etc and a standard case.
    If you are doing this with the intent of running games, that is a waste of time. Dell systems are fine for what they are designed to do; run office, email, watch movies, etc. They are not fine for any type of gaming [exception being the alienware line]
    We must have at least 3000 dell systems at work and they do the job for which they were purchased however I would never think of trying to upgrade one or play games with one.

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I agree with crjdriver. The main reason you want to buy an OEM box is because of the stability and testing the manufacturer has done with all the parts working together. That's why they provide a warranty and support over the entire system. Doing what you're planning negates the testing of the parts and the support you get. So you're spending the money for these perks for nothing.

Plus if you do what you're planning to do and need to call in for support, support is going to make you return the system back to factory stock before doing any further troubleshooting. That's if they don't void your warranty by doing the mods.

4. Wombat1405

Wombat1405 Thread Starter

Than you for your replies

Let me start out with this, I'm not trying to make a beastly gamer, I got my hands on this pc through work, for about 90$

And thought hey that's a cheap i7, and mobo for a small budget gamer.

I dont have loads of money to spend, but plenty of time, so working with front panel, and case problems doesn't really bother me.

My main concern is the mobo, power connectors, because of all the different answers around.

And it would just have been good to get a definitive answer, if anyone has one, before i go out and buy a atx psu, plug it in and fry the whole thing, ofcourse I'm not really gonna do that, but you get the picture.

And if no one has the answer I guess ill have to look up some pinouts, and dust of my old multimeter

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the board in question uses a 24pin atx type pw connector, then it is standard. Just look at the board and see what connector it uses. It has been a long time since dell used a proprietary 24pin connector. Any board that supports a 3770 and uses a standard atx type connector uses standard wiring.
    Do understand that dell boards do not have the extra chipset cooling, heavy duty capacitors, heavy duty VRs [voltage regulators] steel pci-e slots, etc, etc. This is why a high end motherboard from asus, asrock, or gigabyte costs $175 or more; it has those features. The dell motherboard does not have any of those items. Dell boards are fine for general use however for gaming; not so much.

There is a LOT more to a gaming system than simply installing a better pw supply and a high end video card.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1200462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice