1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The difference between Core 2 Duo and Dual Processors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

How do I explain the difference between a Core 2 Duo machine and a machine with dual XEON processors.

Here's why I ask: I made a service call on a Dell machine that has two Intel 2.2-GHz XEON processors--a dual-processor board. I replaced it with a Gateway model 5412 that has a Pentium Core 2 Duo processor. He noticed the spec tag on the front of the new Gateway machine said 1.8 GHz.

Now, how do I explain how the Core 2 Duo processor compares with his old XEON dual-processor board?

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

This is tough to explain but you have to remember that a dual core cpu shows up in the system as 2 processors and for all intents and purposes really is... while it is not accurate really, there is some justification for 1.8ghz really being equivalent to 3.6 .
    This pertains to Amd really but is one of the better explanations of what dual core is and why the measurement is different.
    http://www.short-media.com/articles/dual_core
    and here:
    http://www.dvc.uk.com/acatalog/Processors_Explained.html
    Oh and one of the other things I would have explained is you saved them a lot of money too!

3. Alex Ethridge

Thanks.

He isn't interested at all in the cost of a PC so saving him money on something that small isn't a consideration. You've heard the old saying that money is no object? Well, with this customer, the cost of a PC is literally no object.

He overpaid me $260 yesterday because he said I wasn't charging enough. He also gave me his old 19" LCD monitor (works) which he replaced with a 22- and his old Dell dual-processor box (replaced because the HD whines). I put a new HD in it last night and it runs fine.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

I don't doubt that as I have a few of those also, and the $ were not a major point of what I was saying, only an after thought anyway.

5. hewee

hewee

Ok get this PC for him then. (y) :D

Tyan Announces T-650 Series Personal Supercomputer

Tyan's new personal supercomputer features 40-processing cores

Tyan Computer has announced its latest TyanPSC T-650 series personal supercomputers powered by Intel’s 50-watt quad-core Xeon processors. Tyan targets the TyanPSC T-650 series towards office environments. The new TyanPSC T-650 is a 5-node cluster with 40 CPU cores per system.

TyanPSC T-650 series supercomputers are available with Microsoft Windows Computer Cluster Server 2003 or Linux. Pricing starts at $20,000 USD for the supercomputer.

6. Alex Ethridge

His first question was how long would it take to get here.
    In rethinking my numbers on this, it was $360 over, not $260.

7. hewee

hewee

How nice to be over paid. :)

8. Alex Ethridge

Very! It seems to happen about once a year; but, it has never involved over about $150 or $200.

He said he did it because when he calls, he wants me to be glad he did. Well, I will be.

9. hewee

hewee

Still nice even if it is once a year. Wants you to put him first when he does call so pays you the added money.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/553951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice