1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The disc is write-protected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ginlane, Nov 26, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. ginlane

ginlane Thread Starter

Hi there I have a problem. I will soon upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

So the other day I bought a 128GB SanDisk USB memory stick so that I could put on my personal files on it so I would not lose them when I upgrade.

It was a lot of files, and when it finished I realised that it had not copied them all, nowhere close in fact. Not only that, the memory stick will now no longer allow me to add additional files, saying: “The disc is write-protected” remove the write-protection or use another disk. Furthermore, it will not allow me to format.

I have tried several different possibilities including going through this tutorial on YouTube

None of the ways that this video talks about have worked.

I have also just realised an hour ago that one of the other memory sticks that I have which is plugged in, a 32 gigabyte stick is also playing up and is not accessible any more for some reason.

This is really frustrating, I have several, 128GB solid-state flash memory sticks, all with lots of data on them, I can hardly afford to lose this data, and I don’t really have much extra memory space should I have to format them all.

This has become a massive problem, please help me

Kind regards Gin

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    When you try to put more files on a USB stick than it can hold, you get the problem you have. (I know because I did it ONCE!). The stick will not allow you to move, delete, erase, rename or format.

Do you have a few more blank USB sticks? If so, copy files again. Carefully watch and when the total gets close to 128 GB STOP!

After you have all your files and tested that you can open them, we'll format the broken 128GB USB stick using the HP format tool.
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/hp-usb-disk-storage-format-tool/
    It is small but it works well.
    I was able to fix my broken USB stick and I'm still using it.

3. ginlane

ginlane Thread Starter

Hi plodr
    unfortunatly, when I tried to format my USB stick with the HP USB utillty software that you spoke of, a window came up saying,

Device media is write-protected. It would not allow any further actions to be taken and no formatting

any advice please? kind regards Gin

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

What's the brand/make/model of your USB stick? Is there a physical slider on it to write protect it? Some did back in the old days but I haven't seen it on any new ones.

5. ginlane

ginlane Thread Starter

no sadly no slider on it. It's a SanDisk 128 GB

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

When I Google SanDisk 128 GB, I get results for a SD card. Is this a SD card or USB?

If a USB what's the model number?

7. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Well, this isn't good.......

Write Protect Error on USB Flash Drives
    How do I fix a Write Protect error?

Write protection errors occur when a flash drive detects a potential fault within itself. The drive will go into write-protected mode to prevent data loss. There is no method to fix this. To verify the issue is related to the flash drive and not your computer we recommend that you try plugging the USB drive into another port on your computer. You should also try the drive on another computer if possible.

reference link: https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8656/kw/usb flash drive write protected

8. ginlane

ginlane Thread Starter

SanDisk SDCZ48-128G-U46 Ultra USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 100 MB/s Read - 128 GB

9. ginlane

ginlane Thread Starter

USB type

10. ginlane

ginlane Thread Starter

ok thanks for the info :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice