The documents folder in OneDrive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Katrine03

Hi.
Does the OneDrive folder "Documents" on my Mac automatically sync to OneDrive? I used to have a folder in OneDrive that was called documents, but I changed the name of that folder in OneDrive. Could that have been the original documents folder on my Mac? The folder, that was once named "Documents", does not contain the same files as my "Documents"-folder on my Mac, but could it still be the same folder?
If so, does anything happen now that I have changed the name of that folder?

I also used to have a folder named "Documents" in another OneDrive account. However, I moved the documents folder from that OneDrive account to another. Does anything happen if you move that folder to another account?

Thanks in advance:)

Professionalgirl

Tina
Account Closed
Hi.
Does the OneDrive folder "Documents" on my Mac automatically sync to OneDrive? I used to have a folder in OneDrive that was called documents, but I changed the name of that folder in OneDrive. Could that have been the original documents folder on my Mac? The folder, that was once named "Documents", does not contain the same files as my "Documents"-folder on my Mac, but could it still be the same folder?
If so, does anything happen now that I have changed the name of that folder?

I also used to have a folder named "Documents" in another OneDrive account. However, I moved the documents folder from that OneDrive account to another. Does anything happen if you move that folder to another account?

Thanks in advance:)
Hi Katrine, I am not sure if you already received assistance elsewhere, but I am providing assistance anyway just in case you haven't.

I use One Drive myself and your documents and folders will automatically sync to one drive only if you selected the drive that your documents and folders are located after obtaining a copy of one drive for personal use. For example, if you selected the C:\ drive C:\Windows\Users\Documents or C:\Windows\Users\Downloads located in your file explorer in your One Drive Sync settings it will automatically sync the drives that you selected. If you rename the folder or move it to another account, it should automatically sync those documents and folders if you selected the folders in those specific drives when you set up One Drive for the first time.

If you are using another account on your computer, you will need to set up one drive on that account as well. You can sign into your existing one drive account and select the drives that you want to sync to one drive and one drive will sync these folders and documents to the online cloud automatically. You only have to select the drives once and one drive will sync automatically from there forward.

Please let me know if you need additional assistance or screen shots for the required steps and I will be more than happy to provide them. :)

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
. For example, if you selected the C:\ drive C:\Windows\Users\Documents or C:\Windows\Users\Downloads located in your file explorer in your One Drive Sync settings it will automatically sync the drives that you selected
I will stand corrected, as I am not entirely familiar with Mac and the One Drive app for Mac or indeed the newer One Drive Sync for Mac
However it is of course I think, not a matter of you looking in C:\Windows on your MAC

I do know that a new install of OneDrive for Mac can only be made on
As of 1 February 2019, OneDrive only supports new installations on Mac OS 10.12 or newer.

Basically speaking of course the OneDrive you open on a Mac is the same OneDrive you would open on a windows computer. The Cloud Storage.
I find it a little hard to determine what exactly your problem is, but the answer to this:
Is the documents folder in my mac, the same content as the documents folder in OneDrive?
The answer is NO
NO more than it would be on a windows computer.
It is as my colleague says a matter of what you have setup One Drive to contain and sync.

These links may help you
How to Set up Microsoft OneDrive for Mac (lifewire.com)
and
Sync files with OneDrive on Mac OS X - Office Support (microsoft.com)

This one should contain, although you will have to explore the sub links with it, all the info you need

Fix OneDrive sync problems on a Mac - Office Support (microsoft.com)
If you have other files in your OneDrive online that you haven't synced, you won't see those files. You can choose which folders to include in Sync in the OneDrive General settings tab.

Professionalgirl

Tina
Account Closed
I will stand corrected, as I am not entirely familiar with Mac and the One Drive app for Mac or indeed the newer One Drive Sync for Mac
However it is of course I think, not a matter of you looking in C:\Windows on your MAC

I do know that a new install of OneDrive for Mac can only be made on
As of 1 February 2019, OneDrive only supports new installations on Mac OS 10.12 or newer.

Basically speaking of course the OneDrive you open on a Mac is the same OneDrive you would open on a windows computer. The Cloud Storage.
I find it a little hard to determine what exactly your problem is, but the answer to this:
Is the documents folder in my mac, the same content as the documents folder in OneDrive?
The answer is NO
NO more than it would be on a windows computer.
It is as my colleague says a matter of what you have setup One Drive to contain and sync.

These links may help you
How to Set up Microsoft OneDrive for Mac (lifewire.com)
and
Sync files with OneDrive on Mac OS X - Office Support (microsoft.com)

This one should contain, although you will have to explore the sub links with it, all the info you need

Fix OneDrive sync problems on a Mac - Office Support (microsoft.com)
If you have other files in your OneDrive online that you haven't synced, you won't see those files. You can choose which folders to include in Sync in the OneDrive General settings tab.

Sorry I missed the fact that the OP has a Mac OS and your right macboatmaster. You cannot access the C: Drive on a MAC OS. I was referring to Windows.

I apologize.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online