Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dreaded Blue Screen Has Infested My Computer!

784 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Rollin' Rog 
#1 ·
I own a Lenovo T61 Thinkpad (T series) and the other day out of no where I got the dreaded blue screen. I restarted my computer and during Windows startup it switched to the blue screen - I can't start windows. I'm getting an error message that says "The file or directory X:\minint\inf\INFCACHE.1 is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

- The X drive is the drive that windows refers to when Windows is not running - it represents the C drive.

My main problem is that I have a laptop given to me from my college, so a lot of things are disabled - such as booting from a device other than the harddrive, or accessing any bios settings. System restore is also disabled.

So.. my question is, how can I run the Chkdsk utility without starting windows? And if I can't.. how can i access and download this INFCACHE.1 file?

#2 ·
You can't copy that file from one system to another since it is a cache of install data specific to the hardware devices on the system. I believe some other corruption than that file is responsible for the failed boot, perhaps the INF directory itself

Unless you can boot from something other than the hard drive -- I don't see how you can run chkdsk (you would need to boot to the "recovery console" on a CD to which it is burned) and I'm not sure that would resolve the problem.

However you might be able to do it, or at least recover files by removing the drive and booting it as an external drive on another computer using an IDE to USB converter such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-USB-DSC5-3-5-Inch-Converter-Adapter/dp/B000HJ99DI

#3 ·
You can download the recovery console itself. This is an ISO file so you burn it to CD and boot from it.

Courtesy of

• "CHKDSK" is one of the more popular commands that you will come across in XP and 2000. For boot problems you should always try the "CHKDSK /P" (Outside Operating System (Recovery Console) or "CHKDSK /F" (Within Operating System) option first before you go about reinstalling or repairing Windows.
• If you run from Windows this command will prompt CHKDSK to run during the next reboot.
• Other CHKDSK options can be found by typing "CHKDSK /?"

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.