1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

the dreaded blue screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by djmutiny, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djmutiny

djmutiny Thread Starter

hi people, this is a plea for help!

every time i try to shut down my computer (asus a7n8x deluxe, athlon 2700, 512mb corsair ram, winxp pro) it hangs on the screen 'windows is shutting down your computer' and then flicks to that terrible blue windows error screen momentarily (not long enough to see what error it's coming up with!) before restarting instead of shutting down.

this did not used to happen, and has only started since i installed a couple of new devices (all working fine) and a few new programs (again, all working fine).

any help would much appreciated!

many thanks,
    carlos

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. LarryCore

LarryCore

You need to change your options to allow that error message to stay on the screen.

Right click on My Computer, click on Properties, then go to Advanced and choose the Startup and Recovery button. Uncheck the Automatically Reboot option.

That should allow the error message to stay on the screen so you can find out what it is.

4. djmutiny

djmutiny Thread Starter

thanks for that.

hmm, the error message implicates the following file - nv_agp.sys

something to do with the graphics drivers on my motherboard.

not quite sure what to do but i guess i'll start with updating the drivers! anyone got any experience with this, pls let me know!

many thanks,
    carlos

5. LarryCore

LarryCore

Not sure, but that appears to be an nvidia chipset driver. Your motherboard has an nvidia chipset, so look for updated drivers for the motherboard, not the video card. Of course, getting the latest video card drivers couldn't hurt...

6. djmutiny

djmutiny Thread Starter

solved it! just rolled back the agp driver to the standard windows graphics driver...

thanks guys!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169108

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice