1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The dreaded BLUE SCREEN

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 66drptp, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 66drptp

66drptp Thread Starter

I have a dell sx270 with xp professional on it.I went to turn it on last night and all I get is the blue screen with the following:
    STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}

the system will not let me get in at all.I looked online and it says something about opening a parallel instalation...Not sure where to go from here..........Let me know if you need further info..I am using a laptop for this right now.Thanx.MItch

2. zabusant

zabusant

Hi Mitch!

Turn on your PC and start tapping F8 after the beep. You'll get to a selection menu - select "last known good configuration". If that fails, repeat the procedure and select safe mode with networking. Do you have GoBack (from Norton) installed? (if yes, check this out)

3. 66drptp

66drptp Thread Starter

Still got the blue screen.
    No I don not have GoBack (from Norton)

4. 66drptp

66drptp Thread Starter

Before this happened, have lost my sound for the past 3 weeks.I tryed to install Multimedia Audio Controller.After 1/2 way thru install error messagestating,Error installing iKernel.exe(0x 10000)popped up..Does this have somerhing to do with my problem now as it was a kernel problem...Don't know,just asking.

Also.I backed up my PC the other day to disk as at that time I was contemplating uninstalling XP and then reinstall..Is this still possable.It seems the disk I have that I used to install XP does not always spin in the drive..I tried putting in another install disk and the driver worked fine,but when I put the XP disk in the drive it fails to turn.Hope this helps.

5. jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

Check your CPU for dust blocking cooling. Remove any if found.
    Do you have other RAM? http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ is freeware and can scan your ram for problems.

It sounds more like some windows system files are moved/broken/missing. You may try booting into safe mode and tapping F8 during boot. Then click start, run, and type "sfc /scannow" to check system files.

6. 66drptp

66drptp Thread Starter

I can only get to my bios page.Even trying to go to safe mode brings up the blue screen.

7. jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

Do you have a windows xp installation disc or bootable floppy?

8. 66drptp

66drptp Thread Starter

Yes I have the disc.Please read post 4 towards the bottom.

9. jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

Try to boot from the CD anyway by selecting it as the primary boot device, choose to install windows, BUT do not install it, it will ask you if you want to recover by pressing R. Do so, but make sure you know the administrator password, if there is one.

Once you load Recovery Console command prompt, type in "chkdsk C: /r"

C: is the drive letter of the installation in this example

10. 66drptp

66drptp Thread Starter

Disc starts to turn,you can here it,but stops and then the blue screen pops up.

11. jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

Can you borrow a same version of windows from a friend to boot from? The point is you need to get a hold of another boot disc to fix that blue screen of delight.

12. 66drptp

66drptp Thread Starter

Had a freind help.Had a problem in BIOS to read CD..Got it fixed,xp got corrupted.Just reinstalled and all is fine for now.Thanx.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703692

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice