1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

the dreaded temp folder

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mark_warford, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mark_warford

mark_warford Thread Starter

hi,

i'm having a few issues deleting certain things in my temp folder. the strange thing is that i'm not trying to delete anything vaguely related to the system. its just music videos. i can delete all but 2 and i don't know why they're different. it says they're being used by another person or programme. ((i also get messages on other items saying i don't have enough access privelages to delete them. this in-itself really annoys me, cos its my home pc. without any admin restrictions, i AM admin. :mad: but i still get these messages, which would suggest i don't fully know whats going inside my pc.))
    i have no programmes running that could be using them, they're videos. i have realplayer, and WM9 which are both off according to Windows Task Manager. i have posted my HJT log before on earlier posts and i try to keep it clean. i did get the videos from the internet, but i wasn't aware of people being able to enter hack code through mpegs to be used by another source. they are several user profiles on my pc, but when i go through them i still cant delete them. even though they show up... which could be a point. but i don't know.
    i've run AA6, Spybot and Norton. these haven't picked up anything. though i wasn't expecting them to. i have told the pc to delete them on start up, but it doesn't. this problem has just got me puzzled, because to me, there is nothing running that can possibly be using 2 video files whist I'm not. i'm using windows XP,
    if anyone has any ideas please send them my way.

many thanks,

Mark

PS: if i got the wrong folder for this question, please tell me where to send it.
    thanks again.

2. stod73

stod73

Try deleteing from Safe Mode.

3. sekirt

sekirt

4. mark_warford

mark_warford Thread Starter

hi,

thanks alot for the advice. i downloaded the moveonboot programe and it worked a treat. i was a touch confused by the layout of the website, is 1.9.5 still good? as it is free. i d/l'd the latest package for this, which i have now uninstalled. so thanks you very much for solving this problem. (y)

i do however feel slightly confused as to why it happened in the first place. if it was an actual working file i could understand, but it wasn't. what could be using an Outkast video when i'm not watching it? the 'other person or programe' message seems to crop up now and then, and thanks to this onboot prog i can fix it. :) but i also get the message that 'i don't have sufficient access privileges' to remove or change files. this mystifies me, as it's my home computer. is there any way of becoming the system administrator? as it doesn't believe me when i shout at it. dunno why, the neighbors do...

so thank you very much for solving this little problem. if anyone knows about the admin issue please let me know.
    thanks again.

mark

5. sekirt

sekirt

Glad to help. I don't have XP and can't explain why it happened.

sekirt

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!