1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The drive is not ready for use.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tisatashar, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tisatashar

tisatashar Thread Starter

Hello

I've enjoyed fixing my problems overtime by reading your forums. But this time I can't solve this one.

On shutdown i get:

The drive is not ready for use. It's door maybe open. Please check drive A:

I don't even have a floppy drive on this new PC. Although the icon appears in the Hard Drives/Partitions XP window (probably for nostalgia).

I've tossed out antispyware, AV, Firewall & its still there. I can't see what else it could be that is throwing up this false alert.

2. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

Welcome to TSG

if you don't have a floppy drive but "the icon appears in the Hard Drives/Partitions XP window" then it's not for "nostalgia" but for improper BIOS settings :)

disable the onboard FDD controller, set the floppy drive a: 3.5" to 'not installed'

3. tisatashar

Sounds good.

Umm... what key to press to get into Netbios on reboot?

4. tisatashar

oh-oh.

Got into NetBios. The floppy is already "disabled".

Now what?

5. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

NetBios?

i'm talking about the BIOS setup utility ... most computers respond to F2 or DEL during the POST screen.

6. endfro

endfro

If you do not have a floppy drive, and your BIOS has it turned off. And you are still getting that message, my best idea/guess would be that somewhere in your computer a file on shutdown is attempting to access your A: drive.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice