1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the..

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by gdfgfdga, Sep 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gdfgfdga

gdfgfdga Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

I needed to install SQL Server 2014 Management Studio for a database course that I'm taking. I wasn't able to load the database, so I played around with the C drive permissions and I ended up losing all access to my C drive. If I try to go anywhere like Acer Recovery Management or C: Security Tab or UAC, I get "access is denied". I have my Windows 8 recovery USB and I played around in the command prompt but ended up making it worse. (Before I could still log on and use Chrome) but now I'm getting "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD - You'll need to use Recovery tools" It messed up when I tried this command "bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s x: /f ALL" I tried all the other commands from this website:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/the-drive-where-windows-is-installed-is-locked/

except for the paid software:

Easy Recovery Essentials ®

but haven't bought it yet. I know it can be fixed from the command prompt but I'm not sure how. When I try "Reset / Refresh your PC" from the recovery media, I still get "The drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again" I have all my files saved on Google drive so I don't mind losing anything. What can you suggest?

2. gdfgfdga

gdfgfdga Thread Starter

System restore doesn't work. There's no available restore points. I get the error "To use system restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore." Automatic repair doesn't work. It's a problem with the BCD that needs to be fixed from the command line. When I try to back up the BCD, I get the error "The system cannot find the file specified." I also get the error "Failure when attempting to copy boot files." when I try to do "bcdboot C:\Windows /l en-us /s p: /f ALL (P: is the letter I assigned for the ESP volume). It has to be that the BCD file is missing. I need to retrieve it somehow. Thanks,
    Sarah

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

It may be a little late now, but try removing the Windows 8 hard drive and see what happens.

4. gdfgfdga

gdfgfdga Thread Starter

How would I do that?

Thanks,

Sarah

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is possible to fix this however it is going to require a pretty high level of skill AND you are going to have to boot into the command prompt using a system repair disk. If you are not comfortable working in the cmd prompt or are unsure of what you are doing, a clean install might be a better option.
    If you choose to attempt this, boot with the system repair disk and choose advanced options>cmd prompt. The program you would use in the cmd prompt is lcacls. Here is a list of all of the switches available with this command;
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753525(v=ws.11).aspx
    Again this is not really something for the home user to attempt.

6. gdfgfdga

gdfgfdga Thread Starter

Ok Thanks a lot. I'll try the clean install on the weekend.

Sarah

7. gdfgfdga

gdfgfdga Thread Starter

I visited an internet cafe near my apartment and used the Windows Media Tool to download Windows 10 using Rufus/USB. When I tried to clean install, I got the error message "WIndows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer." I think I need to type some advanced commands in the command prompt to fix it. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sarah

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you first messed around with the drive, did you by chance encrypt the drive?
    If you are sure you did not encrypt the drive, wipe it before attempting an install. There are many, many utilities for wiping drives. I use linux parted magic however you can use the drive mfg's diagnostic or dban.

If you did encrypt the drive, that is done via the drive controller and no wipe or anything else is going to help; you must unlock the drive with the password.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1178923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice