1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved The drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock.....

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pikespeakbob, Dec 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pikespeakbob

pikespeakbob Thread Starter

Unable to upgrade from 8.1 to Windows 10, keep getting the error message that the drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again. Unsure what to do next, I shut down Norton Security but made no difference.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    How are you starting the upgrade and at what stage do you get that error message ?

3. pikespeakbob

I've tried several times by using the Windows 10 upgrade button in the task bar and even using the downloaded Media User Tool, all with the same result; the Windows upgrade downloads and installs but when I get to the blue screen showing CHOOSE YOUR OPTION & TROUBLESHOOT and then RESET THIS PC I get another blue screen that shows Reset this PC and the error message below stating the drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again. I also have an item in Device Manager (other devices) that shows a conflict in a Serial ATA Controller. This device has no driver loaded and there are no compatible drivers available. I don't know the function of this device as I've both disabled it and then uninstalled it several times but it always shows back up every time on a reboot. Even before trying to do the upgrade I had it uninstalled and it didn't affect my PC, all features and programs worked. I upgraded to Win 8 & 8.1 and didn't have this problem.

Attached Files:

4. joseph9095

joseph9095

5. pikespeakbob

Thanks joseph9095, I downloaded and installed the driver in my Dell folder-drivers and it fixed the conflict in Device Manager. Thinking this was the fix I tried to upgrade again but still had the error message about the locked drive and unable to continue the upgrade.

Attached Files:

6. joseph9095

joseph9095

7. pikespeakbob

All of the people responding (except one using method 3) had problems and it didn't work for them so I'm a little leery about using any of the methods. Also, it didn't say that the problem was when upgrading to Win 10, only if you got the error on an existing drive.

8. pikespeakbob

The problem seems to be failure of Windows Update. When I use the Troubleshooter in my existing Win 8.1 in Systems & Security, Windows Update, it fixes the components by stopping and starting the BITS service and CRYPTSVC service but when immediately troubleshooting it again, fixes the components again as if it didn’t fix anything the first time. This happens continuously each and every time I try the troubleshooter and before I try and install the upgrade. I am able to update all other Windows Updates, just not the Windows 10 Pro Update.

After the upgrade install fails, I get the error message “Drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again.”

I then shut down the PC per the option given with the error message and when the PC starts up again I get a window with the error message “0xC1900101-0x20017,”“The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during the BOOT operation.”

Now trying my regular Windows Update from the Control Panel it shows that the upgrade failed and gives me the error message “Error 80244019.”

I have had two trouble cases with Microsoft support (2nd tier tech support) and neither had been able to resolve the problem, even with remote access, I guess I'm just sinking in the swamp...

9. cutterx2202

cutterx2202

Did you ever resolve this? Having exact same issue.

10. pikespeakbob

Not yet, still having the problem. About ready to open another case with MS. I have no device conflicts and all the latest downloads from MS, even ran CHKDSK several times to no avail, still fails.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1161596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice