1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"The driver detected a controller error on" head scratcher and fix

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Ace_Balasador, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace_Balasador

Ace_Balasador Thread Starter

Hello everyone

I specifically created this user account of mine to share this error that i encountered, what caused, and how i eventually fixed it.

Lately i have noticed that my PC is becoming very sluggish, sometimes "freezing" for around 10-15 seconds in random intervals. So i installed processhacker/ procexplorer to monitor things and after observing things i cant seem to pinpoint a single process that's causing the sluggishness. So i went to the event viewer and found out these error logs

[​IMG]

So after some researching , i found out that the likely culprit was an outdated asacpi.sys file, so i downloaded from ASUS the latest version.

When i was trying to install the updated asacpi.sys i encountered a "The extended attributes are inconsistent error" , i tried to install it many times but i always got the same error, i ran SPECCY just to peek at my PC's details but it always crashed, so i ran it in debug mode and found out that it always crashes when the "ANALYZE PERIPHERALS DATA" is checked.

[​IMG]

So i ran CCCleaner instead and rebooted and encountered a "DISK ERROR OCCURRED" when trying to boot, when i tried running the repair disk it always says something about an I/O error, you may have removed a USB/ hardware device when it is currently being read upon, yaddi-yadda. Then i remembered a week ago that i installed my old PC's PATA HDD to copy my old files into a new SATA HDD that i bought, BUT i already removed it! Then IT DAWNED ON ME... I left the PATA cable attached! I removed it ASAP...

[​IMG]

Then finally everything went well :)

[​IMG]

No more errors!

Lesson: Never leave connected PATA cables even if they dont have a HDD installed at the end of the cable(s)

Hope this helps :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice