1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The Evolution of the Motherboard Chipset.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hairybusdriver2, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hairybusdriver2

hairybusdriver2 Thread Starter

From what I understand, and I may have been out of the loop for a while now, but the north bridge video/memory controller and the south bridge I/O controller vary in there locations on the motherboard. Traditionally the north bridge was closer to the CPU (hence its name), memory and Expansion slots while the south bridge was below it further way because it handled less demanding instructions. From what I understand though, on some motherboards they have incorporated the north and south chip into one single chip that handles all of the surplus instruction from the CPU. Also some motherboards don't have a chipset at all because it was integrated onto the processor itself for even faster access to memory and video resources. How exactly is it an improvement to integrate both chips into one?

What are your opinions on the best locations and integration's of the Chipsets on a motherboard? Lets say hypothetically you wanted to build a gaming machine, what type of setup would you choose?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Traditional PC's still have them seperate that I've seen. Typically when they start combining things into a single chip, it's typically a space saving effort for a specific function (ie: such as cell phones).

In any cast, assuming you are referring to a standard PC (as you referenced a gaming machine), you don't have as many options as you think. As has always been the case, you will select the cpu that fits your needs/budget, then you will select from the available motherboards/chipsets that support that cpu. So while there may have been a great many changes, they are for specific uses. For PC use, especially with performance parts for a gaming PC, not much has changed.

3. hairybusdriver2

hairybusdriver2 Thread Starter

Hmm, I guess so. I actually was watching a video from COMPTIA, they were talking about chipsets and it surprised me because I had never heard of those setups before. I guess I never heard of them because like you said, it is only changed for functionality.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1069732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice