1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The Falkland Islands British or Argentina

Discussion in 'Controversial Topics' started by rexgrant, Dec 23, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. rexgrant

rexgrant Thread Starter

Hi
    Should the self governing,self sufficient, Island people have the right to choose who as sovereignty over the islands were they have lived for the last 179 years. These island are 290 miles from the coast of south America.
    Regards
    Rex

2. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

Interesting topic, RexGrant!

As far as your question, I think what they "want" is largely irrelevant, if there is someone with authority/control having rule over them. Yes?

3. buffoon

buffoon

Errrhhhh.......what sovereignty are we talking about here?

Or better said, sovereign as what?

An independent "Falkland Republic" is most unlikely (nor desirable by London), going with the Argentine will rename it Malvinas (desirable by neither the "Kelpers" nor London), so what's Cameron currently spewing forth about?

I don't recall the kelpers having made any demands with regard to choosing their sovereignty so is this the Christmas news slump? Or is Cameron short of topics, of late?

4. pyritechips

pyritechips Jim

Wasn't there a mini-war about this about 25 years ago?

5. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

6. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

Thanks for the link. (y)

From the link:

Great. Money makes everything worse. :cool:

7. 1956brother

1956brother

i though they considered themselves british?...kelpers:confused:

8. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

Now... I quickly pull out my International Stupid card here. :)

But I do remember how "fond" the Australians were in Quigley Down Under of the British Rule.

Just saying... no matter how good the ruler is, one would like their freedom.

9. 1956brother

1956brother

from what i remember the people of the falkland islands did speak english and delcared themselves in english. which makes sense considering the many basket case governments have been in argentina.

argentina does have a very good football team. i wonder f they cheer for them?:D

prime minister gillard said, they are waiting for the death of elizebethII to declare independence out of respect.

the austrailians voted earlier for independence earlier and it failed. so it will be interesting to see what happens.

10. buffoon

buffoon

11. steppenwolf

steppenwolf

dont cry for me Argentina

12. steppenwolf

steppenwolf

give it back to the indians

13. buffoon

buffoon

..............back to the warrah, more likely. Trouble being, that one is extinct.

Falkland Indians indeed.:rolleyes:

14. rexgrant

rexgrant Thread Starter

We live in a world of conflict and hate, we put commodities before human life. This small group of Islands that would rather stay under the more stable British sovereignty,and only then for defensive purposes. they were happy to live side by side with Argentina ,but that was not enough for the unstable governments of Argentina who uses the Falklands as a pawn to draw attention away from the mess their governments make of running their country.
    History shows that no Argentinians ever lived on the Falkland islands, It seams as steppenwolf may have it correct.
    There is controversy as to who was first to discover the Falkland Islands, with competing Portuguese, Spanish and British claims in the 16th century. While it is possible that Patagonian Indians may have visited before this, the islands were uninhabited when they were discovered by Europeans. The first reliable sighting is usually attributed to the Dutch explorer Sebald de Weert in 1600, who named the archipelago the Sebald Islands, a name they bore on Dutch maps into the 19th century.In 1690, Captain John Strong of the Welfare on route to Puerto Deseado was driven off course and reached the Falkland Islands instead, landing at Bold Cove. Sailing between the two principal islands he called the passage "Falkland Channel" (now Falkland Sound), after Anthony Cary, 5th Viscount Falkland, who as Commissioner of the Admiralty had financed the expedition. The island group takes its English name from this body of water.
    Have a merry Christmas
    Rex.:D

15. yabbadoo

yabbadoo Banned

Well I don`t know why anybody wants a lump of muck in the South Atlantic called the Falkland Islands and inhabited by Penguins, but at present the UK mighty mouse has possession and it is up to the Argies to grab it when they feel they can. They failed miserably last time. Does not look like the Argies are capable of grabbing anything in a military role. Best stick to producing beef steaks.

Who would ever want this piece of Arctic crap is beyond imagination.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032604