1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The fan...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PODNickerz, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PODNickerz

PODNickerz Thread Starter

Hello, i opened me case up and i noticed there is an empty holder towards the power button side of the case for what looks like an extra fan. Is this correct?

So if it is, and i have a spare fan which is the one where they are used to put on top of the processor would i be able to mount and connect that into that empty holder?

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Sounds like a spot for a front intake fan. I guess you could rig a connector on to that cpu fan to run it off the psu and mount it in that spot with some more rigging like ties etc.. if need be.

3. cc_deejay361

cc_deejay361

my newest computer has front mount similar to the one you talk about, you cant put 10 fans in your PC if you desire to...a good fan power cable should snap on your power supply wires and just tap in. they can be bought any where and consist of a female 4 prong plug to a male plug with a mini plug tapped in. The female to male simply borrows power from that source while giving you a new male plug to use for whatever. NOTE: A FRONT MOUNT FAN SHOULD BE INSTALLED BACKWARDS. IF YOU FEEL AIR BLOWING OUT THE FRONT SIDE, REVERSE IT SO THAT AIR IS SUCKING IN THE FRONT SIDE.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Just because there's a spot for it, that doesn't mean you have to use it. ;) FWIW, I actually improved the cooling in a couple of large towers by taking OUT the front intake fans.

5. PODNickerz

PODNickerz Thread Starter

Why's that john will?

---

Say i have 3 hard drives, 1 cd rom and alittle overclocked motherboard and video card would i need extra cooling?

I notice that cpu fan has a power cable connected to the motherboard so if i just take it out would it fit in the empty fan holder and would there be a power socket nearby enough so i could connect the cable to?

My motherboard is a p4s5a dx+ ...... fyi

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes but let's think average user here...for thje average user a front fan pulling air in is an excellent idea.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Front fans can create turbulence in the airflow, create hotsposts, and actually impede cooling. This is really a trial-and-error kind of thing. I was surprised when I removed the fans and found they were actually hurting the cooling. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice