1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

The file 'Asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is needed

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dawgfan, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dawgfan

dawgfan Thread Starter

I'm having to repair the OS and during the procedure I am prompted to load the 'asms' file from the XP SP2 CD. I've searched the cd on another pc and it does not exist. It's an endless cycle - if I don't find the file the software keeps cycling back to the prompt eventually. Help!

2. new tech guy

new tech guy

It may be a hidden file or in a compressed folder somewhere on the cd. when it prompts for the cd, just insert the disk and click ok with the cd rom drive selected and it should search for the file automatically.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

Agree, there is a X:\I386\ASMS folder on the CD but no file name that contains "asms".

4. dawgfan

dawgfan Thread Starter

The SP2 disc never worked, but insertion of the OS disc did. Perhaps the instructions were in error...

5. new tech guy

new tech guy

Yes that is because you are in need of an actual operating system file, not a service pack file.

6. anuthaone11

anuthaone11

Here's what worked for me... I replaced "GLOBALROOT\DEVICES\CDROM0\I386" with "c:\i386", copied it to my clipboard for repeat use, and entered it as the file location. A number of similar "file missing" boxes will proceed to open - each referring to a different file. Each time, paste "c:\i386" and press enter. After about 25-different times, the install/repair moved along smoothly.

7. TGOfficeTex

TGOfficeTex

Here's my predicament, I get to that point and everything just locks up. I can't edit the path, I can't move the mouse, the keyboard is unresponsive.

Any clues?

Jack

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/547086